please help! breastfeeding question

Please for give the typos...I had been breastfeeding exclusively for one month when I got really sick I had a very progressed uterine infection and needed a whole slue of pills I had to pump and dump I was suppose to get a hospital pump but I got let down and they didn't come through now I'm engorged and nothing will come out via pump bc my breast won't fit so it can't get a suck I knw its there its leaking my question is can I put her one tomorrow and go back to breastfeeding and get a supply back quickly?? I'm devasted I want to cry I feel like a failure we were doing wonderful I just really want to breastfeed

Kre10

Asked by Kre10 at 10:44 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Call the hospital and ask about the pump and tell them your story! If you are on WIC call them sometimes they will give them out, or go buy one ASAP! Its only going to keep hurting until you get the milk out! Best of Luck!!!!!!!!
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 10:47 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Put her on tomorrow and see how it goes. Your supply may have gone down a bit, but it will catch up. Be prepared to supplement a tad at first, but keep it to the BARE minimum, otherwise, you'll end up needing more and more supplemental formula. Start each feeding on the breast, switch breasts when the first one is drained, and if she's still hungry, then give her some formula. Alternate which breast you start on. Nurse as frequently as humanly possible, to try to keep her on just the breast milk.
    I congratulate you on continuing to nurse! Many women give up, and I commend you for pushing through this. YOU CAN DO IT!!
    A few things you can do to help up your supply: fenugreek, Mother's MIlk tea, oatmeal, and NURSE NURSE NURSE!!
    If you get engorged, you can try to hand express some milk. Over the sink (if you're dumping) or even into a bottle once you can use your milk again.
    I'm here if you need support!! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:52 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• You are not a failure!

IF your breasts are really engorged go take a warm shower, after about 10 minutes lean down and press your breasts and release the pressure of the extra milk. Make sure to do it until all the excess milk is gone, you will know because your breasts are hard now, but once you start expressing the milk they will soften up. Any hard spots need to be massaged too, hard equals hidden milk. It helps to squeeze your nipple and push toward your ribs, to mimic the baby feeding.
    Put the baby to the breast again, as much as you can. If she makes a peep, put her to the breast, if she wants to suckle for comfort, put her to the breast. Make sure to get lots of skin to skin contact, take off all of her clothes but the diaper and take off your shirt. It will help.
    Nurse her whenever you can. That is the best advice to bring your supply back up. Call a lactation consultant for more help.

Good luck Momma!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:52 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• How many days have you gone without nursing? If it has just been a day or 2, you should have no issues. Just keep the baby on the breast. You will make milk on demand. You might feel like you're just nursing for the whole day because you might just nurse the whole freaking day.

Diaper count is the only way to tell if you are making enough milk for the baby. In a 1 month old you want a diaper count over 8/ 24 hours. If the diaper count is less than 6, you need to supplement.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:07 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Thank you I don't feel so hopless I hve fenugreek and oatmeal I will do everything tomorrow I hope it works!
    Kre10

Comment by Kre10 (original poster) at 11:08 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I couldn't have said it any better then the PPs did. You need determination, a baby, and breasts. And maybe a little time.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:08 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Just start nursing again asap! You can get your supply back! Get her to nurse as much as possible. You don't really need to pump if you can get her to nurse at least 8-12 times in 24 hours.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:26 AM on Nov. 18, 2010