When could they say "th" sounds?

My daughter is almost 4 and has a hard time with the "th" sound. We work with her on it whenever we hear her say words with "th" in them, but she hasn't quite gotten it yet. Instead of "th" it sounds like "f" instead.

How long did it take for your child to say "th" instead of "f" sounds?

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 10:47 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Right away. But, loads of kids have the "f" for "th" thing going on. Just work with her and I'm sure she'll get it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:01 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• My son is almost 4 and we have the same problem.....we try to teach him to say it right but he doesn't seem to care for now.Just keep trying.
    VienaMira

Answer by VienaMira at 2:02 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• My daughter never had a problem. My son, now 5, still has trouble with them. He can't do them at all. It's quite normal for kids to not say the "th" sound until they're six or older. Then, consider, that the teeth start falling out, and then it's still tricky. Shoot, my pastor growing up said Happy Birfday, and he was definitely old enough to know better. No worries, mama.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:39 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• My son is almost four...same thing. It sounds like the F.....I work at an elementary school and asked our speech pathologist about it...and he said it was totally normal. Not to be concerned until the reach the age of 6-7 years old. (I thought that sounded old) He told me it has to do with development of the tongue...etc. Once he started getting into the technical stuff...I kinda tuned out...but I think it's normal...don;'t worry.
    BWIND

Answer by BWIND at 12:58 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Just keep working with her.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:35 AM on Nov. 19, 2010