Should parents be charged for a child missing too much school?

This is in our news tonight. The first parent of the year to be charged with the educational neglect. The parent of a 15 year old who has missed 10 unexcused days of school so far since August.

http://www.semissourian.com/story/1681498.html

Do you feel this is correct? Or if not, what is your suggestion?

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 12:00 AM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I think it is a great thing... Parents and Children need to understand that to every action there is a reaction.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 4:34 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Well, I don't think school should be compulsory for anyone, so no, I don't think parents should be charged. I think it's great the schools are there for those who wish to utilize them, but I don't think parents should feel compelled to send their kids. Other things in life are just as, if not more important than school. And, just attending, being present in a classroom, does not garuantee an education.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 12:09 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I missed a LOT of school when I was a teen. My mom couldn't exactly force me to go when I was determined to stay in bed. School should be optional, not compulsory. The only reason schools get up in arms about truancy is because they lose funds.

So, no... that's ridiculous. Especially with a 15 y/o... at that age they're capable of getting themselves to school. The government should not be telling parents how to parent... it's like charging a parent with disciplinary neglect for not punishing their child in the "correct" way.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:33 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Hmm... that's a difficult one. On one hand, it seems like that's too controlling, on the other hand, there ARE alot of parents who are neglectful about that, and if the child pays with a poor education, then it's the child who suffers, and that's not right, either. I'm not sure what I think, curious to see what the answers are.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:04 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• "Educational Neglect?" Wow, never heard that one before!

I hardly think bringing charges against the parents is going to increase their son's attendance...More likely cause them to pull their son out for "home schooling" since he only has a few more years to go...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 12:11 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I think the only time a parent should be charged, is when the parent is doing it to intentially hurt the child.. if there are other reasons then no... sometimes its not the parent at all, but the child refusing to go! and sometimes, the child is sick, and sometimes the parent is sick... at 15 years old, they are old enough to understand the need for good education, and they are old enough to bring themselves to school. charging the parent is only showing that 15 year old that someone else is going to take the fall for their irresponsability! again, I dont believe the word neglect should come up is intentional wrong doing (like leaving a baby in a soiled diaper for six hours!)
    icn_mom

Answer by icn_mom at 8:10 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Yes! If the parent does not contro what the child does, then who is responsible for them?
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:27 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I have seen kids in elementry school get dropped off for school by the parents they watch for the parents to leave and than they walk off school grounds and off to who knows where. These kids parents are not going to write an excuse for the kids to skip school. They are doing what they can to get the kids there. What are they expected to do sit in class with the kids to make sure they are there? It should be handeled on a case by case bases. I have a hard time thinking that at 15 it is the parents stopping the kid from going to school. At that age my money is the kid is skipping and if that is the case the charges need to be on the kid. I can see charging the parents if they are with holding an education from the child, but if the kid is skipping school and causing problems than charge the kid. Punishing his parents is just going to give him something else to hold over their heads.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 11:11 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• The most imprtant issue is : What were his grades like? DId his work appear to be well done? HAs he passed tests? THAT is more important than how many days he was there,sitting at his desk. I bet there are a bunch f kids who had perfect attendance but didn't pay attention,didn't complete their work,homework, and will end up just sqeaking by. That seems really harsh to accuse the parents ......of "educational neglect". WHY didn't he go? Was he sick alot? ANyway, his grades,etc. are more important. I am kind of amazed at the controlling and harsh attitude at that school.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:10 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Where I live, they only allow high school students to miss only three days per 9-week period. If they get anymore than that, they automatically fail the class for the nine weeks. But once the kids turn 16, it is no longer the parents fault, and they can't take you to court.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:36 AM on Nov. 18, 2010