Is it sad that...

Is it sad that my son is 3 months old and I have yet to purchase ANY toys for him? It makes my heart hurt a little. By the time my daughter (the older kid) was 3 months old I had bought her a ton of toys (none of which she played with until she was at least 6 months). My husband was bringing home a Webkinz toy for her at least once every other week. It was ridiculous.

Do you buy toys for your babies? At what age did you start? At what age did they start showing interest in toys? When I go shopping for groceries tomorrow my little guy is at LEAST getting his own rattle lol.

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 12:02 AM on Nov. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• Meh... My oldest got all kinds of toys, the younger two did not. At that age they don't really even play with them. They probably had 2-4 baby toys.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:03 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Don't worry about it..he is still really young. =]
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 12:05 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• As long as he is healthy and happy he can live without toys. I think this is more about you feeling like you are a failure for not giving him much. Love him, play with him, be there for him. That is better then a whole toys r us store!
    chris219

Answer by chris219 at 12:33 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Didn't any friends or relatives give him any toys? He's 3 months old. Can't really play with them right now anyways. The giving of toys is probably more for you than for him at this point. Go buy a rattle from the grocery store, and give yourself a break.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 12:05 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• His grandma sent him a pooh rattle. That's his only toy lol. I feel bad because I, as his mother, haven't bought him hardly anything. A few gender-neutral sets of clothes (like, 5 lol) when I was pregnant, good prenatal care, two doctor visits... we're pretty broke so I just do the bare minimum lol. He's a happy, healthy baby, but I find myself really wanting to go on a kid shopping spree for both my kids and buy them some new toys and clothes (not from a second hand store like everything else I've purchased recently).

And I hate shopping lol.
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 12:08 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• My youngest just turned 4 months and the only "toy" we bought him was a stuffed animal before he was born and some rattles shaped like a cow and pig that attach to his wrists.  All the other stuff he has were things that belonged to my other kids.  He has a set of colored rings (that my sil gave me 10 years ago when my oldest was born) and some Ty Beanie Babies that the kids pulled out of their own toy bins for him.  And a little violin that plays Mozart.  He's just now starting to play with things.  He grabbed his rings earlier today and was rattling them all around.  It was so cute.  He mostly just likes to knaw on the stuffed animals because he's teething.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:53 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• He doesn't care. In the long run it won't effect his life and you won't waste money on toys he doesn't care about!! Relax!
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 1:55 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• he doesnt know and as long as you love him and take good care of him thats all that matters in the end. my 2yr old has been spoiled silly and yet her most favorite thing to play with is all my spoons, with my youngest now i havent bought her very much at all, most of her stuff is hand me downs and she doesnt seem to mind, her favorite thing is food. dont feel bad though about buying second hand stuff either, you can find awesome deals on almost new stuff.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 6:44 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Sweetie...don't beat yourself up. He's only three months old. Believe me, he really doesn't know what to do with them yet. Anyhow, he'll get plenty of crap...I mean toys for xmas.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 8:02 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• More important than toys is time with you. You are the best entertainment and teacher he could ever ask for. Interact with him, talk to him, hold him, show him the world.
    When he's older, then he'll need toys to stimulate his development, but right now, relax! Save your money
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 10:02 AM on Nov. 18, 2010