Is it worth it to bring back my milk supply for my almost 9 month old son?

He does just fine on formula, but I still want him to get optimum nutrition. I plan on feeding him breast milk (if I get it back) and/or formula until he is totally on juice and regular food. I want to hold off cows milk for as long as possibly just because lactose intolerance runs in my family. Also, I just want to give him the best start at a healthy life as I can. I was only able to give him exclusively breast milk for maybe 2 months and then breast milk and formula for another 2 months for reasons that are too long to explain here. I will just say the circumstance was out of my control. So it it worth it? It seems like it to me, but I do not know how long it will take for me to build back up a good supply. He only gets about 4 8oz bottles in a 24 hour period, so only about 24 oz. I would appreciate any insight but no criticism please. Thanks.

CalebsMommy0220

Asked by CalebsMommy0220 at 12:04 AM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Only YOU can answer if it is worth it. To me, it would be worth it. I would go for it. How long it will take depends. Everyone is different. If your baby will latch, that's a great start, just put him to breast and let him go to town, and gradually decrease formula. A device like an SNS is often helpful, it is a system of thin tubing that make you able to feed formula AT the breast, therefore increasing stimulation, and baby gets both your milk and formula at the same time. Sometimes that is helpful in coaxing a baby who won't latch. If you have access to a pump, pumping will help encourage your supply. Ideally, I would recommend (at least at first) pumping about every 2 hrs, but realistically, just do it as often as you can. All stimulation will give your body the signal to up production. Keep hydrated. Many women find oatmeal helpful. Brewers yeast, in beer, or brewers yeast tablets is known to help supply.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:59 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I absolutely think it is worth it. It is a lot of work to relactate but it totally possible. Lots of moms adopt babies at this age and induce lactation and breastfeed them. Lots of info on how to get your supply back at How do I Relactate?

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:29 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Wow thanks maggiemom2000! That article is really helpful! I am still reading it actually. Thanks for the encouragement too!
    CalebsMommy0220

Comment by CalebsMommy0220 (original poster) at 12:37 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Fenugreek is another herbal supplement you can take as well as blessed thistle and goats rue. A tea called Mothers Milk Tea, or a tincture called More Milk Plus are commonly used to help supply. It's NOT too late, and this CAN be done, and I think it's commendable that you're going to try, but keep in mind that it might be a little difficult, and might take some time. On the flip side, it might be very easy, and take only a short time. Good luck, and if you don't mind, keep me posted on your progress, I'd love to know how it goes.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:01 AM on Nov. 18, 2010