Kids and Facebook:need some feedback?

My ds and dd both have facebook pages. I am on their list and so I can see everything they say. I have seen some langagus (sorry sp)that I find very offensive and have told both of them that if I see it again I will be taking comp, cell phones, xbox, and permits. I am not raising to thugs..I have taught my kids to speek their minds but not with such lang.
I am at my wits end dont know what else to do?

dawndls66

Asked by dawndls66 at 12:08 AM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• cancel the facebook. Simple.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• yes i would just close there facebook and now no worries
    meagan678

Answer by meagan678 at 12:15 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• no dont close their facebook. this is a way to connect with all their friends. new. present and past friends. I love my facebook & they will be so angry with you & they will prolly make a new one you cant see anyways.
    CassieM2B

Answer by CassieM2B at 12:29 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I would make them remove any offensive posts. Explain to them if this continues, and let them know you will be monitoring it, you will make them delete their accounts. They are probably trying to look cool in front of their peers. Do you know their friends? You would be surprised at what you find out by looking at their pages. Good luck. Been there done that many times!
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 12:44 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Yep, I vote to remove facebook. Your house....your rules. If they can't follow the rules they can't have the privilege of using facebook.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:55 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I would just tell them how I thought and give them another chance. Just taking it away might come back and bite you in the butt. If it keeps up, then take it. Good luck.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 9:12 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I have talked to both of them and explained that if it does continue that there will be more than facebook taken away. My ds says that is the way he talks around his friends and he not going to change that, he is 17, and i do thing alot of his trouble is trying to look cool. My dd is 15 and said she was just taking up for her db and that she wont do it again. I also told both of them god help them if either tried blocking me. I dont want to take it away because both of them have friends that do live in other states and this is thier only way to connect with them.
    dawndls66

Comment by dawndls66 (original poster) at 10:10 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Do what you told them you would do. Plain and simple. You have to remain in control and they need to know you're serious. Let them 'earn' FB back with the condition that one step out of line and it's gone, no warning.
    GumboGirl

Answer by GumboGirl at 12:07 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• once again. I dont understand why kids who see the friends on FB or my space at school everyday. I just don't see the purpose. I would just take it. my kids has asked me for an email address but he doesn't dare ask for a FB page. I think it's dangerous in so many ways.
    cuteness13983

Answer by cuteness13983 at 4:46 PM on Nov. 24, 2010

• My parents were very strick when I was growning up and I had to go to my friends house to cut loose and do things they would not let me do when I was at home. When my now 15 yo son was growing up I decided to let him express himself at home any way he wishes , yes he cusses and has long black (EMO) hair and has his ears peariced. At one time he even had Blue hair. But he is an A+ student in school and the teachers adore him..When he goes to other people houses the parents tell me what a well mannered ,polite son I have.. I think I made the right dicision for my child, at time I have taken the computer away from him, but for other things.
    witchymomslove

Answer by witchymomslove at 6:26 PM on Nov. 28, 2010