when did your babies start sleeping thru the night & how did you get them too??

My baby is 6 weeks & only wakes up 2 to 3 times a night since he was born but i was just wondering when your babies started to sleep fully thru the night and what exactly you did to start it.

CassieM2B

Asked by CassieM2B at 12:32 AM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My first started sleeping through the whole night in our bed at 2 years and in his own bed at 4 years.

My second started sleeping "through the night" (6 hours) at 3 weeks (in our bed, he never sleeps alone)... he's yet to sleep a full 12 hours, but he's only 20 months. I wouldn't expect it yet.

And I didn't do anything... they do it on their own when they are ready.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:36 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• My first was up every 2 hours for the first few months. She actually began sleeping through after she turned a year old. Yes it was rough because I worked full time!

My second was better. He woke up every 4 hours, (he was over 9 lbs) but never slept entirely through the night until he was almost 2!

My third started sleeping through from 10pm-6pm when he was just 4 months old.

Good luck it gets better......until they become young adults. Then you still don't sleep because you worry! :)
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 12:37 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• my daughter started at 2.5 months..she went to bed around 930pm, and woke up around 9-930am..the first time it happened she woke up at 6am..i went to get her a bottle..and by the time i came back she was asleep again...i thought it was a fluke..but from that night on, it was 12 hours straight...(i was verrrrry lucky)...my friend has a boy..he will be 2 in a couple weeks..,and he still wakes up 2-3 times a night..and has NEVER slept in his crib for more than 3 hours..even when they sleep together, he still wakes up..every kid is different!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:43 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• First baby slept through the night around 2 after I used the Ferber method for 3 days. 2nd baby slept 4 hours from birth and 8 hours by 6 weeks old. What I did different was put her down awake, but tired whenever possible, and I kept the room dark at night except for the 1st few weeks when I needed to see to help her latch on, but still, only enough light to see what I was doing. But I think the biggest difference was personality. And with my first son he would poop every time he ate, so i would feed him and he would fall asleep, then I would have to change him and he would be wide awake and I would have to rock him and nurse him back to sleep or he would scream like he was being tortured. My daughter never screamed like that, just fussed a little, so it was a lot easier to let her fuss and put herself to sleep from the beginning. Baby 3 was more like my daughter, but he is 9 months now and still wakes up once.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:43 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• DD started to at 2 months old. The only way she would was on her tummy. I know they say its bad and I got so sick of hearing people and them making me paranoid I stopped at 4 months and swaddled. Then teething came along and she gets up once for a bottle. If its realy bad she will get up sometimes 3 times searching for her binki and cry till I help her reswaddle and get it. If you dont swaddle maybe consider trying it!
    JakesCupcake

Answer by JakesCupcake at 12:59 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Well, my DD is 3 mos now, the first month and a half we had her in a bassinett.. she woke every 3 hours, we got a snuggle nest and put her in it, and BAM! Sleeping through the night.
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 5:39 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• My son when he was 3 weeks old and my daughter at a month. I started putting a little baby cereal in their formula.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 7:55 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• All three of my kids woke for nighttime feedings until they were a little over 2 years old. The first one was the hardest because I wasn't ready to be up so much at night, I worked full time during the day so it was hard (boy did I have a lot to learn about priorities!). With the second and third I didn't' expect them to sleep through the night, and that made things so much better. Some moms have had luck with the cry it out method, but I just couldn't do it. I never wanted my baby to cry and not have me go to them. All kids are different though, some sleep through the night much earlier quite happily. And mine never slept more than 8 hours or so at night, no matter what I did. Cannot relate to those who have babies that sleep 12 hours - that just wasn't normal for my kids, although it is for others. Just give you baby what he needs, and it will all work out.
    MidwestMama55

Answer by MidwestMama55 at 9:29 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Sleep is a developmental stage reached in each child's own time. Comparing children will always make you unhappy so just hang in there. It will happen when your child is ready. Follow baby's cues and enjoy the time you get to be with baby! Congrats on your new LO!

My DS slept fully through the night at about 16 months. I was up every 2 hours more or less for the first 3 months. It gradually got better but I did figure out the minute I was use to a certain sleep schedule it would change up.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 10:31 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• They start when THEY are ready and not a moment before.  My oldest two were about 5 1/2 months (before that they were getting up usually once or twice a night).  My 3rd was 5 weeks and suddenly started sleeping 12 hours at a stretch.  That lasted until she was 7 months and then suddenly started waking 2 or more times a night until she was 14 months.  Drove me nuts.

My 4th started the day she turned 3 months and my youngest began sleeping 8-10 hour stretches at around 12 weeks.  He's 4 months now and sometimes wakes in the night but for the most part he sleeps through.  I didn't do anything to make any of them sleep.  They just decided on their own when they were ready.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:56 PM on Nov. 18, 2010