Do you resent your parents for lying to you ?

I really do... they always told me about Santa and made me believe in him until I was 11 years old... and I think it is because of that, that I was never able to get close to them or really trust them because of it... I mean why would they lie about something so dumb, dont they know that we ( my brother and I ) would have valued gifts more if we knew they were payed for with money that they had to work for...

I have a little girl and this is her first christmas and i will be damned if I pass on the ignorance !

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• – collapse
    I was very annoyed when my older brother told me when I was seven years old that Santa didn't exist. I think if we are going to teach our children to not lie, we need to not lie to them. I was concerned with raising my kids that they would think Jesus or God was fake too if we could make up stuff about Santa.
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 12:34 AM on Nov. 18, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• I seriously do not understand the feeling betrayed by your parents over the Santa thing. I hear it all the time and I just think it is hogwash. I think that people that say that have underlying issues with their parents and use the Santa thing as a crutch to hate their parents.

I loved Santa and was in no way angry or disappointed when I found out he wasn't real.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:36 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• oh come on. that is just ridiculous. believing in santa claus is fun and one of the best memories of childhood! and then you just eventually realize on your own that it cant be true..

i think you must be a very pessemstic, depressing person that you would get so upset at your parents about santa and thats what your going to pass on to your children.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:38 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I agree with SleepingBeautee, that's ridiculous. I loved Santa too, and have happy memories of Christmas magic. I am glad my parents went to the trouble to make Christmas so special for my brothers and me.

If they lied about being drug dealers, or something serious, I'd be mad, but about Santa Claus....please.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:39 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Sad! I think it's magical! Kids only get to be kids for so long...actually not long at all! Santa, the Easter bunny, tooth fairy...they are all welcome in my home.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 12:42 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• No. We gradually figured it out and my mother said it was a Christmas tradition and that one day we will do the same to our children. We weren't bitter about it. Our relationships never suffered. Our Christmases were still wonderful until my mother died.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:42 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I was concerned with raising my kids that they would think Jesus or God was fake too if we could make up stuff about Santa.

I believe Jesus and God are fake....it has nothing to do with my parents telling me there was a Santa.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• lzsarjman, I'm so sorry you lost your mother. Glad you have happy memories with her.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 12:48 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Thank you jenae!
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:49 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• OP I have to say this....you really should get over this. I feel bad for your parents. They were trying to give you a happy childhood and in return they get this resentful reaction? Seems pretty harsh to me. I like the idea of telling them it is simply a tradition for making the holidays more exciting.
    silly2plustwins

Answer by silly2plustwins at 12:53 AM on Nov. 18, 2010