Breastfeeding moms: I need some encouragement...

DH doesn't seem to understand how important breastfeeding is. For me, I'm able, I want to, and I feel that it is the best I can do for my LO. Our DS is 4.5 months old (he's our first). Lately, he's starting teething a bit, and sucks and chews on anything in his reach. So DH keeps trying to give him soda, or ice cream, or whatever else he's eating. I tried explaining (nicely) that at this age, this can be harmful to DS. I tried getting upset. Tonight he gave DS a bunch of sugary, colored Gatorade. It took an hour for DS to get to sleep after that (he was on his way to sleep when DH gave it to him). I was upset. I'm still upset. He's a great daddy in so many ways. Am I getting too worked up? What should I do?

Reenieredhead

Asked by Reenieredhead at 12:41 AM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Maybe you need to take this one above his head and speak to a pediatrician/lactation counselor or other professional to get the point across that babies do NOT need sugary adult foods until they are much older.
    Good Luck momma!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:45 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• OMG, I can't believe he's been giving the baby those things! The baby shouldn't have anything but breastmilk until 6 months! Let alone sugary treats! Have you tried showing him in any books or articles stating how harmful those things can be for the baby??
    I commend you on the breastfeeding! Teething sucks, and it is a challenge dealing with an infant gumming away at those nipples (even worse once they cut through!), but the last thing you need is an unsupportive DH.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:49 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Sounds like a bit of a power struggle on hubby's part. I would be crazy upset if my 4 month old was given these things too, I don't blame you. However, the bigger fuss you make, the more your husband will do, he is pushing your button I think I completely agree with roadfamily6now, you need to have a discussion with your pediatrician. And If that doesn't stop him, then Gatorade goes down the drain!

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:52 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Have your husband go to your next pediatrician appt with you and ask your Dr in front of your husband about feeding/nursing. Don't tell on him, just let him see the light :)
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 12:53 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Any links to articles you know of that I could share with him? He does seem to believe "official" stuff from "experts" (basically, as long as it comes from someone not me...)
    Reenieredhead

Comment by Reenieredhead (original poster) at 12:55 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Why is he doing this? Just to see if your son will eat them? What did your husband say when you told him it wasn't a good idea to give babies anything except breastmilk at this age? If he showed no concern for what you said, I agree with speaking to a pediatrician/lactation consultant and bring hubby along to the appointment. Maybe they will get through to him. Otherwise, I'd give him a list of teething toys to buy for your son instead. Good luck!
    Chocolatespring

Answer by Chocolatespring at 12:56 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I think it's more because he loves to see DS's reactions to different things. When I told him it wasn't good, he just kind of shrugged it off. Granted, I'm a bossy person and although I'm getting better, we got off to a rough start with our marriage and me acting like I knew everything. But we have plenty of teething toys. He just wants to make DS happy - and of course a baby will be happy when you give them everything they want! Until their bodies reject it, or you give them something that hurts them...
    Reenieredhead

Comment by Reenieredhead (original poster) at 12:59 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• take him with you to the next appt and have the doctor explain it to him. my hubby did that once and i nearly blew smoke out of my ears. though when she was up forever and had aweful diapers from it i made him deal with it and that was the end of it. maybe tell him when it comes time for solids he can take the lead with things that are age appropiate.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 7:08 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• im really not trying to judge but you know that he should have anything but breast milk or formula. he could make your baby sick. he need to educate himself.
    cuteness13983

Answer by cuteness13983 at 4:00 PM on Nov. 19, 2010