Do you believe women who have an alcoholic drink or two in midlife turn out to be healthier overall in their old age?

Surprisingly, this practice is encouraged by the American Heart Association.

I'm certainly going to test the theory ....

tasches

Asked by tasches at 1:40 AM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Health

• I don't think this is true. Red wine is the only form of alcohol with health benefits. And.... you can get exactly the same health benefit from drinking purple grape juice! :) I think one or two drinks per WEEK may be OK if you aren't taking prescription medications, but the main problem with alcohol is that it becomes a crutch. A study just came out of the U.K. that alcohol is the most dangerous drug there is, even surpassing herion and crack cocaine. I think if it is infrequent (special occasions only, and never more than 2 drinks), it's fine. Those same studies from the Heart Association, if you read the fine print, is that they say if you don't already drink alcohol, you should NOT start. If you do already drink alcohol, 1 to 2 drinks is the recommendation.
    MidwestMama55

Answer by MidwestMama55 at 9:16 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• What do you mean a drink or two in midlife? A drink or two every day? Or a drink or two during the entire "midlife" years?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I think it's the difference between overly Puritan anxiety and drop down alcoholics, anxiety and inappropriately managed stress is the cause of either. any socially acceptable/ legal behavior in moderation can be distressing yet i would not recommend smoking cigarettes ever more addictive the prescription pain killers or cocaine, just a thought. know yourself and what you can cope with, find alternative reliefs if alcohol holds emotional baggage for you.
    freyjawire

Answer by freyjawire at 3:07 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• So true MidwestMama55 - good points.
    tasches

Comment by tasches (original poster) at 12:54 AM on Nov. 19, 2010