Are destination weddings still popular?

What is the proper etiquette? Who pays for what, etc? What is expected of the non-bridal party guests?

Indyk

Asked by Indyk at 1:51 AM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Travel

• Typically, everyone pays for themselves. However the bride is in charge of paying for In laws (I think, could be wrong) herself and the groom, her parents, and the preacher. Again, I'm not 100% sure.
    However, in this economy, a destination wedding really isn't a good idea. THere may be a lot of people who would LOVE to be at your wedding, but will have to be left out because they can't afford to fly. Not to mention, you may have some hurt girlfriends who can't afford to be your bridesmaid.
    Keep the ceremony and reception close to home...leave the destination part for your honeymoon!
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 2:12 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• There were three weddings (that I know of) in the resort we stayed at in Cabo, so I guess they're still popular :)

Typically, all the guests pay their own way, but the bride (or wedding planner) works with the hotel to get a room block so the hotel isn't as expensive.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:22 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I have never been to one. Yes I think they are pretty popular. A friend was married on an Island with just family and very few friends. About a month later had a typical wedding reception.
    chris219

Answer by chris219 at 8:54 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Oh and played a video of the ceremony! Was neat
    chris219