have you ever not liked a relative

i really can't stand my uncle and thanksgiving is going to be at his house this year ..am i wrong for making plans to go somewhere else for thanksgiving...my family is like getting on me about it but i feel really strong about my decision..i never speak to him nor do i pay him any mind..i know were related but it sure as hell don't feel like it and it's been this way since i was a little girl..what do you think

amiyamom

Asked by amiyamom at 11:23 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Relationships

• yep. not going to thanksgiving because of my Aunt and Grandmother. I don't really care either. The way they acted the last time I saw, them oh well. I really don't care to ever see them again. I'm going to the inlaw's :) and my mother may be coming too since she's also mad at her mom and sister.
    Anonymous

• do what you want to do. you shouldn't have to do stuff to please your family. if you're not comfortable or happy to go to his home, then don't!
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 11:25 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I agree with the ladies above. Yes, there are some things you do out of obligation, like weddings and funerals and 90th birthday parties. But I don't think we should be held hostage every holiday having to deal with family members we can't stand. I don't think that's celebrating. Don't feel bad.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 11:47 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• i don't care for my brother mike much but heck he is family. he will probably be the one that doesn't show up. so i don't have to worry about not going.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:48 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• yup. PLENTY.
    aidensema

Answer by aidensema at 12:56 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• i am not going to thanksgiving with my family this year because it is at my mothers house...my whole family is not welcome there, so i refuse to go... *shrug* its been this way for 7 years...

peace...
    Monkeygrrl

Answer by Monkeygrrl at 12:58 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Just because they're family doesn't mean you have to like them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:34 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I'm in the same boat. All of my life we went to my aunt's house (even after I was married I allowed my mom to guilt me into going). When we bought our home 8 years ago my DH has had to work on TG all 8 years and I've loved it! I get to stay home, cook my dinner. My MIL comes to hang out with the children! It's great. This year he's off and wants to go to HIS aunt's house. I told I'd go, but not all day (and I mean ALL day, like from 10 am until after midnight) and he agreed that we'd come home and cook here as well. You can't make everyone happy, but you need to make you and your SO happy! GL
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 6:44 PM on Nov. 4, 2008