Eating trends in England

Has any one lived in England and can tell me about the dietary habits? It's for a paper. Of course I have done research but I would like more info not just the government documents I have read.

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 2:22 AM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I was an au pair in London and the family was pretty laid back. The kids usually ate fried chicken, tomato soup, rice, fries, burgers, mashed potatos etc for dinner and just snacky lunches like sausage and cheese, sandwiches etc. They also ate lots of candy after school.
    lovemytwinsters

Answer by lovemytwinsters at 2:54 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I'm British, what do you want to know?  Feel free to pm me.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:16 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Ummm... At 4:00 the whole country stops for tea. My sister was there shopping in a quaint store and the owner refused to wait on her at tea-time : " I'm sorry, Luv... You'll have to come back later... We're having a spot of tea ! "
    IndigoRose

Answer by IndigoRose at 7:57 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Indigorose, in all the years I've lived in England that has never once happened to me or anyone I know.  It's an old fashioned ritual that very few (usually the upper class) still follow.  In modern England tea time is supper.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:55 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• yeah I kinda don't beleive the hole tea time thing. Maybe back in our grandparents day or like beeky said the upper class. On the few british shows I do see I notice food is something rarely talked about and when it is it's curry take out! I want to know if there are any real differences from English meals from Americans...or what are the similarities?
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 12:58 PM on Nov. 18, 2010