Is it harder as you get older to make friends?

A former teacher & friend told me this. Initially, I thought no, but then I thought: you graduate, begin work, have kids, do your daily routines. Where do you find ppl with similar interests (that will make time for meeting new ppl)?

Chocolatespring

Asked by Chocolatespring at 2:37 AM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Relationships

• I have found that I seem to make friends through my children's friends. At the park or playground or school, what have you, I see my kid playing with another kid and I'll look for the parent(s) and introduce myself and go from there. Are they deep and abiding relationships, no. But it's good enough for me.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 5:37 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Yes, it is harder to make friends with people all the people that I know through my daughters school are so much younger then I am and more people tend to drink then I do so it's hard to find people who have my interests. I was just thinking of this yesterday in fact about some older people my ex and I were friends with and how we all had so much in common. No drinking and just plain old friendly chatting, motorcycle riding, coffee drinking people.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:19 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I think it's not only due to the fact that we have limited friend making resources as parents but I think as people get older some of us get more close minded and arn't as chatty and into opening-up like we were when we were kids.
    I remember, as a child, when a new kid appeared on the block it was like a new christmas present to play with!
    Now my best hope of finding new friends is here on CafeMom! lol
    Hey Buddys....What's up?!
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 7:24 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Yes because as you get older you've probably been burned several times and also no longer have the innocence you once had as far as trusting people. My mother always use to say "there is no such thing as friends only acquaintances" to which I would snap back and defend my friends to the end. Now at 45, she was beyond right.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 7:32 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• It's gotten easier for me as I've gotten older, because I used to be a shyer and self conscious. I was always worried what other kids would think of me and wouldn't even try to make friends with some people for fear of rejection. As I got older I've gotten more confident in myself and have come out of my shell so I feel more at ease with people and tend to make more friends.
    not-the-momma

Answer by not-the-momma at 10:22 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Thanks for all of your great responses, ladies!
    Chocolatespring

Comment by Chocolatespring (original poster) at 11:32 AM on Nov. 18, 2010