Do you believe in apologies?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304410504575560093884004442.html#articleTabs%3Darticle

some people are off the frame of mind if they created the offense they meant to. Some are people pleasers and apologize for everything, Some people believe if they do not admit guilt the are not guilty, some people are completely oblivious to their offenses, and are never called on it when it matters enough to them to own it. there are many other ways of dealing with this topic what do you do, receive?

freyjawire

Asked by freyjawire at 3:58 AM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Relationships

• it depends on the situation but yea i do.
    ariescutie76

Answer by ariescutie76 at 4:47 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I used to say "sorry" all the time for every little thing. Now I apologize sincerely when I feel I have wronged someone and try not to do the thing again. If I have hurt someone, but do not feel that I was wrong, I will apologize for making them feel badly, but not for the action. My goal isn't to be right or hurtful, but to stand up for myself while getting along with others as best I can. I know some people view any apology as weakness, but I think if you can't admit when you've been wrong and own it, that is weak. Everyone makes mistakes!

I know what you mean about the denial tactic. When I meet someone like that, I do my best to avoid that person like the plague. What do you do with a person who has to be right even when they're wrong?
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 6:49 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I have no problem apologizing or receiving one.But, has to be real.Not just BS
    Ann610

Answer by Ann610 at 6:58 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Not anymore.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 7:29 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• More than the words, you can tell when someone has regrets for their actions by what they do. My DH is short on words of apology (even when he should be sorry) but he will clean the house, cook me dinner, do the things I asked him to, etc. He changes his action. I guess that is his apology to me.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 7:37 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I am always the one apologizing. Dh on the other hand, not so much.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 8:43 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I apologize if I've hurt someone, done something rude, etc. Intentional or not, if I've done something to apologize for, I will apologize. I will not apologize for my opinions or feelings just because someone has a problem with them. If I am blunt in my replies to someone or rude in my communication methods, I will apologize for the offense for that, but not for my opinions
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 1:36 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I sure do!
    joysweet

Answer by joysweet at 3:59 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• thank you for your interest in this topic.. I find i am not constantly apologizing, or saying sorry. Though in my family I am the one who apologizes to keep the peace even when I am the one offended because they seem to prefer emotional manipulation before admitting any offense or using apologies . I appreciate your answers I will keep this question open a little longer. Any advice for handling emotionally abusive family members who have egos to big to apologize?
    freyjawire

Comment by freyjawire (original poster) at 12:55 AM on Nov. 19, 2010