plastic pants and potty training

do u use the plastic pants when going to underwear or did u just put the undies on and let them wet their outfit? Should i use pull ups first? and i have a problem my niece whois two she'll be three in feb. who is also potty training refuses to tell her parents when she has to go to the bathroom! they are so frustrated and dont know what else to do any pointers...they tried the reward thing and it worked for awhile but she doesnt care anymore. Any advice?

sep_10_07

Asked by sep_10_07 at 11:26 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i didnt use pullups becaues the kids just think they are diapers. we went straight to undies. They did not like having wet clothes so they eventually got the idea. YOU have to be consistant. Ask every 1/2 hour if they gotta go and put them on the potty reguardless. Give them lots of water for the first few days so they gotta go alot. the more they go the easier it will be for them to get it. Just be patient and try not to get frustrated. remember this is completely new to them and it does not happen over night! it takes time and patience.
    CoreyLynn

Answer by CoreyLynn at 11:32 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I let them wet their outfits. After awhile, they don't like it!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 11:56 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I've been wondering the same thing as the OP. But, if you just let them wet their outfit, do you then immediately change it? I've heard people say to let them sit in it for a little while so they know it's uncomfortable or whatever, but wouldn't you have to drape your entire home in plastic?! I put my son in the cloth training pants for about a week, he'd pee all over his clothes at least 4 times a day. I'd take him to the bathroom every 30 minutes, but he REFUSED to go, then 2 minutes later, he'd pee all over his clothes, all over the carpet and everything. So, does this mean he's not ready yet (he will be 3 in a couple of weeks) or should I just let him pee everywhere until he decides he wants to use the potty?
    winkie_pinkie

Answer by winkie_pinkie at 12:47 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I have my son in cloth training pants with plastic pants unless we are home then i just let him run around with just a cloth training pant and a shirt that way he doesn't get his pants wet. He just turned 3 and is getting there but slowly. We he wets his pants i make him sit in it for awhile then have him sit on the potty before i change him. To answer winkie_pinkie qustion my son was the same way until around his birthday.
    mommy20507

Answer by mommy20507 at 2:48 PM on Nov. 6, 2008