Religious choice?

Did you actively look for a religion, or were you brought up with the same one and never really thought / questioned it?

If you looked, did you look for one that fitted with your beliefs already, or did you find one that you liked and changed some of your views?

Piskie

Asked by Piskie at 4:23 AM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Up until I was a teen I lived with my mom and really had no idea what religion was. Then I went to stay with my dad and I was introduced into Christianity. I followed what my dad believed because I seen the life he lived, where he came from and how God changed his life. But when I left the nest I did my own research and had my own experiences. Even though I tried different things, in the end I went with my heart and learned from my past experiences. My views were always molding around what I experienced and learned and still mold, i'm very open and learned that narrow mindedness is like a closed off life. Because life is so full of opportunity.
    Miss_Angela

Answer by Miss_Angela at 4:34 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• My parents raised me sending me to a Presbytarian church every sunday my entire youth for sunday school and church. But they themselves never went. I found out as an adult they are athiests. but they wanted me to have experience with God and religion to make up my own mind without thier influence.
    katiPeas

Answer by katiPeas at 4:40 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I was brought up in a religion but I certainly didn't believe and never question. I have questioned a lot. I still go to the church I grew up in when I am with my parents but I do not follow any one religion. I believe in God but I don't think going to church is a must when being a believer.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 4:42 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I had been to church a few times when i was small... I always believed in God, Jesus and Angels... After my husband had a drug overdose, he was pronounced dead for almost 10 minutes; they thought he'd be brain dead.The main valve to his heart was shredded... The doctors and everyone prayed for him.. They said it was a miracle he was alive... After a month of heart attacks, withdrawals. he went back to the doctors they said it was a miracle he had no signs of anything. He was perfectly fine... We thanked the LORD, and straightened up our lives, I became a Christian in 2005; Baptist faith... And the LORD has truly blessed us.. I have a desire to be close to God & Jesus. I read my KJV Bible every chance I get and constantly PRAY... I teach my children the Truth of the KJV Bible.. When they grow up they can choose their own church/ religious group.... it's not so much "religion/church" to me. It's more Spiritual... Faith..
    LuLuMama_4Jesus

Answer by LuLuMama_4Jesus at 5:04 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I was raised Catholic and I practiced that most of my adult life so far.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 5:56 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I was baptized Catholic but I always had an issue with praising something that I can't feel, see or touch so when I got old enough to research further, I realized it was in my best interest to accept the truth and became Atheist.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 7:29 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I was raised Presbyterian, and began to really question things by age 12. I have nothing against it and many members of my family are still Christian, I just didn't feel like it had the answers I was looking for. A lot of it didn't make sense to me, but I still value some things from that faith. I don't have a church right now, but we are considering some of the UU churches in the area because they tend to be inclusive and accepting of all faiths. I think Buddhism is the best fit for me, but I love to learn about all religions. I'm not sure about my view of God, but I don't believe in a personal, creator god but can accept pantheistic ideas about God as a possibility. I never felt that athesit or agnostic truly described what I am, but post-theism is an idea that appeals to me. So, anyway whatever church I find, if any, needs to be accepting of all faiths and not conflict with reason and science for me to consider it.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:26 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I was raised in a Christian home, although my mother encouraged us to think for ourselves, to ask questions, dig deeper, think outside the box. She wasn't as concerned about indoctrinating us to someone else's truth as she seemed to be helping us find our own way of understanding. Though that I was able to cultivate my spirituality in my own way. Constantly studying, reading, discussing, I've arrived where I am today through searching for my own connection to the Divine and my fellow man. And I'm not done, lol. I don't believe faith is about arriving at one moment of faith, but is about a spiritual journey through life. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:44 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• *through
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:45 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I was raised in an agnostic home..for the most part. I'd go to church occasionally with my grandma and to service for Easter and Christmas, but that was about it. In my early 20's I discovered "New Age" and liked that for awhlie because it sounded really good. It wasn't until last year (January 4, 2009) when I was led by God to go to church with my grandma that I was flooded with the Holy Spirit the moment I walked into the sanctuary. From then on I've been involved with bible study and am now in bible school. I have a strong desire to learn all I can and continue to grow and mature. I don't want to be a "lukewarm" Christian. My journey has been all through personal discovery of the truth and not because I was raised with religion.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 11:48 AM on Nov. 18, 2010