I'm dating a man who has a hard time taking compliments...

things are going good but he doesn't seem to believe me when I compliment him. its not really a big deal to me I was just interested in all of your experiences and advice as to get to know him better =) do u think a man that doesn't take compliments well maybe is just humble? Or holding on to some past pain? Or insecure? What do you think? Thanks! Excited to see your responses =) We both have similar back grounds, & we're both nearly 30. Just thought I'd throw it in there... haven't dated in a while and i'm excited bout this one! haha

Miss_Angela

Asked by Miss_Angela at 4:27 AM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Relationships

• It could be that maybe he just doesn't know how to take the compliments that you are throwing out there. Maybe his self-estreem is on the low end of things because like you said from past pain. why don't you speak to him about it and then you may be able to get a straight answer from him and not something made up in your mind.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 4:38 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Yes, i have spoken to him right away about it. He explained to me that its just hard for him to take compliments. the last thing I want to do is pry, nag, or push him away so i just try to understand that for him, its just something he don't take easy. I compliment him on how sweet he is. He always says he's just being honest. I know i don't take compliments to well either, but I've learned just to say thank u and accept the other person's opinion. When I say something to him like, I really like this about you or that, he will respond with, "no u don't" or "i don't believe you".... .. so ya...
    Miss_Angela

Comment by Miss_Angela (original poster) at 4:46 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• p.s. just wanted to throw it out there that i'm not trying to make up anything in my mind about him =) Just wanted to hear similar stories and maybe even possible outcomes of a relationship with this type of thing... .. just 4 fun
    Miss_Angela

Comment by Miss_Angela (original poster) at 4:48 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Ehh, I do the same thing, unfortunately. I've never been good with compliments. Probably because my self-esteem is so low. :( Hubby is always telling me I'm beautiful and how well I cook, etc... I've learned too, to just say, "Thanks" and smile.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 5:17 AM on Nov. 18, 2010