IS MY BABY EATING TO MUCH?!

IMA 19YR OLD 1ST TIME MOM... MY BABY WILL BE 3WKS OLD ON MONDAY!
WHEN I WAAS IN THE HOSPUTAL HER 1ST 2DAYS OF LIFE, SHE WAS EATING 1.5OZ & THE NURSE TOLD ME SHE WAS EATING TO MUCH & TO STOP HER AT 1OZ.. BUT I FEEL THAT IF SHES EATING IT I SHOULDNT STOP HER.. & SHE DOESNT SPIT UP AFTER.. SINCE HOME SHE HAS GRSUALLY.. WELL KINDA RAPIDLY INCREASED.. AS OF YESTERDAY- NOV. 17TH SHE IS EATING 4OZ.... BUT, SHE EATS IT WITH NO PROBLEM, & DOESNT SPIT UP... SO, I FEEL THAT SHE IS OK EATTING THIS AMOUNT.. BUT I, AS WELL AS MY MOTHER QUESTION IF IT IS "NORMAL" FOR HER TO BEING EEATTING SO MUCH SO YOUNG.... ALSO, SHE IS SMALL BUILT LIKE HER FATHER, SO SHE DOESNT SEEM TO BE HOLDING ALOT OF WAIT EVEN THOUGH SHES EATING MORE.. IN HER 1ST WEEK- 2WKS SHE WAS EATING 2.5-3OZ.... AND ONLY WHEN I TOOK HER TO DR. SHE SAID SHE LOOK GREAT & ONLY GAINED 15OZ .. WHICH IS NORMAL.. SO.. MAYBE SHES EATING ALOT.. BUT MAYBE NOT???!!! WHAT DO YOU THINK?!

rieya2010

Asked by rieya2010 at 5:16 AM on Nov. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think all babies are different and initially just follow their survival instinct. Grown educated folks make decisions for whats best for the baby but how can u categorize what works best for every baby when it comes to their appetite! Recommendations are to be considered but just follow your heart! Yes giving them proper nutrition is crucial but if that baby is hungry let that baby eat. Nothing wrong with it. That baby is healthy and not obese. I think his or her appetite is based on his or her metabolism. Nothing wrong with that!
    Miss_Angela

Answer by Miss_Angela at 5:24 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I figure that if adults have different metabalosims why not babies too? My son is also a prolific eater, when he went in for his one week appointment with his doctor he was eating around 3 ounces, but the hospital had told me he hsould only be eating one tops and I was terrified I was overfeeding him a bit. Actually, my ped. said around a week it SHOULD be closer to 2 ounces so while that's a bit over, it's not much. The WIC office when we went, which was closer to two weeks old, they're so tough to get ito( and I live in Utah, land of babies) about crapped their pants at what he was eatinga nd said it was too much, but took my answer of his ped. wasn't concerned.
    As the mom I think you're making a great choice based on your gut and your baby. Keep in touch with your ped and the three of you makea great team for a happy baby.
    Also my son, the eater, is now 2 months old and eating roughly 7-9 oz a feeding, so we get you here.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 5:51 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I was always told that if they are happy and not fussy they are doing fine. The baby will refuse more when they are satisfied. Trust your instincts.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:05 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I'll start off by saying that I nursed my kids so I don't know much about formula, but I will give my opinion anyway. To me, it does seem like a lot. I would try smaller amounts more often. If that didn't help, I would absolutely speak to the doctor to make sure that it isn't too much. I would NOT, no matter WHO told me to, start feeding cereal (in bottle OR via spoon) at this point. (I know you didn't ask, but it is common for cereal to be recommended in situations like this so I threw it in.). The reason why is because when a baby is hungry, they need MORE calories. Cereal and other solids contain LESS calories per ounce then breast milk and formula. So feeding cereal might stuff them, but it's not what they NEED, it doesn't have the calories that a baby needs if baby is demanding more milk. I hope I made sense....
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:08 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Babies know what they need, if she's drinking it with no problems then she's fine, and you're doing fine.
    Besides how much she takes at each feeding, count up how much she is drinking over the whole 24 hours. I forget how much is recommended at this age (my youngest is 8 years old), but the doctor can tell you how much is recommended.

It's hard for me to see how a baby that age could be drinking too much. If she wants more, then her body is growing and she needs it.

Trust your instincts. You know your baby better than anyone. You are a good mom :)
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 9:52 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Babies usually won't over eat...if she is not spiting up and is gaining weight at a normal rate, feed her...make sure that you berp her...sounds like you are doing just fine...listen to your own heart and listen to your baby...relax...enjoy your baby
    motherganey5

Answer by motherganey5 at 5:38 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• THANKS EVERYONE!!! SO- IM GOING TO PUSH THE NURSES INPUT ASIDE AND LET HER EAT WHAT SHE WANTS... SHES A GROWING HUNGRY GIRL SO I FEEL I SHOULD LET HER EAT.. AND EVEN AFTER HER 4OZ WHICH SHOULD HOLD HER 3-4HRS.. IF SHE GETS HUNGRY BETWEEN FEEDINGS I PUT HER ON THE BREAST SO SHE CAN GET A LITTLE DRINK.. THEN SHES SATISFIED!! SO SHES EATING WELL AND BURPING AND SHES HAPPY AND HEALTHY AND CONTENT.. NOT A COLICY BABY AT ALL.. SO IM JUST GOING TO KEEP DOING WHAT IM DOING!! BESIDES SHES TINY! SHE WAS 7LBS 6OZ AT BIRTH BUT DOESNT FIT INTO 0-3 OR NEWBORN CLOTHES BECAUSE SHES BUILT SLIM LIKE DADDY BUT STUBBY LIKE MOMMY.. SO AS A FULL 40WK TERM BABY & 7LBS 6OZ SHE WEARS PREMI CLOTHES... SO SHE NEEDS TO EAT SO SHE CAN GROW INTO A HEALTHY BIG GIRL!! THANKZ EVERYONE!!! GREATLY APPRECIATED
    rieya2010

Comment by rieya2010 (original poster) at 9:28 PM on Nov. 19, 2010