How to get my childs' fever to stay down?

sammy1979

Asked by sammy1979 at 5:51 AM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Kids' Health

• What is the fever? How is the baby acting?

I usually don't give anything to my kids for a fever unless they are acting differently - crying a lot, lethargic. A fever is just a sign that their body is fighting something off.

If you need to get it down, you can give lukewarm baths. Not cold. That could chill the baby. (How old is your child?)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:05 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• rotate Motrin and Tylenol, lukewarm baths for 30 minutes and ice pops

lovemylilman06

Answer by lovemylilman06 at 10:22 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• There are actually very few good reasons to need to bring down a fever. Fevers are the body's way of fighting off infections. You are really not helping the situation by stifling the fever unless it goes over 104 or your child has a history of seizures. Two of my kids have epilepsy, so a fever is NOT a good thing as it triggers seizures. My middle DD who doesn't have seizures I let her fevers do it's job in order for her body to build immunity against whatever it is she is fighting off. Alternating Tylenol and Ibuprofen is a very aggressive action against what the body does naturally so it should only be used in rare cases when to allow the fever to do it's job would cause more harm than good thus causing more problems that to begin with. What you want to watch for is keeping your child well hydrated, not bundled up and resting as much as he can.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 11:02 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• You aren't giving enough info. Please check this link out. Very helpful.. http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T082100.asp  You can always place a call in to the pedi.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 12:43 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• How old, how long has the fever been going on? Have you given tylenol? How high is the fever? Need more info?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:45 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Alternate between Ibeprofen and Tylenol (kids type that is) every 4 hours as temp persists. If it reaches over 101, make a(n) appointment.
    CandyHorse

Answer by CandyHorse at 1:03 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• We would alternate between Tylenol and Motrin every 3 hours. Also, popcicles, baths, keep baby lightly dressed and wipe them down with wash cloths.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 9:33 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Tylenol and Motrin alternating
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:03 AM on Dec. 14, 2010