How do you disapline a six year old for giving someone the finger?

My son is in football and he had a game on saturday, his first and only game of the season. The other team scored a touchdown as he sat in the grass about half way down the field. One of his teammates came over to help him up. When he stood up, he flicked the other team off. I turned around to look and my ex-husband and his family (his girlfriend, brothers, a brother's girlfriend, father and mother) were there laughing about the whole situation. I know he didn't learn it from my house but I can't point the finger at my ex and say it was him. I never saw him actually do it in front of the kids. How do you stop a child from doing that when he sees someone else do it to another person because they are mad?

mlk2330

Asked by mlk2330 at 11:27 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• with discipline. when you see him do it you either smack his hand or ground him (which ever is your method of choice)
    you also need to teach your children what is right and wrong morally and ethically, without that basic knowledge, they won't know they are doing something wrong to begin with.
    Anonymous

• i would start by talking to him and explaining to him that it it wrong and disrespectful to do that. and that just because someone laughs at it doesnt make it right. if that doesnt work punish him the way you normaly would. keep it up until he gets the point.
    Ronnies_Girl

Answer by Ronnies_Girl at 12:02 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Well, first let him know that what he did was unacceptable, why it is, and how when people use or do things of that sort, it shows that they aren't that smart, because they can't use or show a more appropriate way to talk or whatever, and because you dont want to be seen like that, it will not be acceptable and used anymore. That's what my parents taught us about cussing and doing that, so we never cursed growing up, because I didn't want to be seen as stupid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I would ask him if he knows what it means. Most kids his age see other people doing that and they do not really know what it means. Then I would explain to him, in terms he can understand, why he should not be doing that.

I would not punish him this time because it happened days ago. I would let him know that if you catch him doing it again this is going to be the consequence.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:31 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I'd make him sit out the next game, and have a tlak with him about good sportsmanship.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 8:24 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Have his football coach address unsportsman like conduct with the whole team, and then personally let your son know that if he needs to behave that way he will lose priviledges (like maybe not being allowed to play football at all)
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 10:22 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I would handle it the same way I do when my kids hear a bad word and say it, explain that some people do or say these things and it's not nice and it hurts other people. After they know that they aren't supposed to do or say it then I would discipline them accordingly. At my house we use time out and suspend tv/movie privileges.
    mrswright1170

Answer by mrswright1170 at 11:03 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• If he doesn't know its something he shouldn't do, there is no point in punishing him.

I would explain to him what it means, and why we shouldn't do it. I would let him know what the consequences will be if he does it again...sitting out a football game, not going to a friends house, no tv for a couple days, whatever you choose.
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 5:34 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Your family could grow up and not teach him that stuff. Kids that age mimic mom and dad so stop using that gesture and teach him how to be a good sport. I would have taken stuff away for that and I would have made him apologize to every member of the team and all the families of the team. You as a mom need to make better choices and not use vulgar hand gestures and vulgar language around him.
    Anonymous

• I know you said he didn't learn that from you but kids don't just do that stuff. So don't tell me I did not read your post. I did read that and don't buy that he was not taught to do that.
    Anonymous