I am getting stationed at Spangdahlem Air Base, Germany but I am going home on leave first. Any advice on what to bring? I am married with a 3 month old

AirForceMommy10

Asked by AirForceMommy10 at 6:29 AM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Travel

• I guess I don't know what you mean. Are you asking in general what you should bring? We are a military family living in Japan, obviously not where you are going but overseas is overseas. We brought everything of ours with us minus the car.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 6:33 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Let me rephrase my question. I am currently stationed in Japan as well but when I asked what to bring I was referring to clothing and anything else that might come up in Germany. TMO is picking up everything and we even purchased a car that we are having shipped there. I just donn't know if there are certain things that I WILL need that I should purchase while at home. We all know alot of items are limited overseas. I hope I made sense this time :)
    AirForceMommy10

Comment by AirForceMommy10 (original poster) at 6:42 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Yup that makes sense :) Seeing that you are in Japan you already have cold weather clothing, I am pretty sure Germany is a bit colder then what we are used to here in Japan. Are you stationed at Yokota?
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 6:56 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• haha sorry. I am stationed in Okinawa, Japan. A TINY island south of mainland. It is never cold here, its actually the exact opposite. The coldest it has gotten my three years here is in the 60's and thats not cold! I just don't know what kind of cold weather clothing to buy.
    AirForceMommy10

Comment by AirForceMommy10 (original poster) at 6:59 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Oh, haha, I have been up to Yokota and am hoping to make it down to Okinawa next summer! My grandpa was stationed there back when he was in the AF and always tells me I need to go so I can tell him what it is like now! It gets cold up here though! Cold enough to snow but we don't get any! Hope you can find someone who knows better. But seeing as you are at Okinawa they may not even sell winter clothing!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 7:02 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I wish my son were stationed in Germany, the BEST chocolates in the world. My dad was stationed at Ramstein, AFB :)
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 4:55 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Germany gets COLD. If you have any cold weather clothing, bring it. The spring and summer months are nice.

Then again, I'm going on memories from the mid-late 80s when I was a child.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 11:18 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Not sure where Spangdahlem Air Base is, but if it is near Bavaria, then you can expect snow on the ground from the first of December to the last part of February. I am not much of a coat person, but I wore a coat in Germany. The PX should have a few choices in coats, but my best winter coat I had, I bought off the economy. I believe it may have been at H&M. Most of my clothes however, I bought online through Old Navy and other companies that ship to APO boxes.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:26 AM on Nov. 21, 2010