Help!!!!....Poison Ivy

I am highly allergic to poison ivy. The last time I had it was about 8 years ago when I was pregnant , it was all over but my legs were he worst.I was prescribed a steroid cream.Well somehow poison ivy has found me!! I have it on my neck,chest, a small spot on my chin and I just notice some small spots forming on my stomach!!!!

What can I do to stop the itch and stop from spreading? I have tried the benedryl clear and all that but it does not seem to help. I also have no health insurance so no doctor for me....

Thanks for your help and please bump!!

Sunflower722

Asked by Sunflower722 at 7:28 AM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Health

• Ask your pharmacist for recommendations. This is what I did, and he showed me washes that can be used to clear the skin of the poison ivy oil that makes the rash spread, as well as lotions for controlling the itch.

Answer by Bmat at 7:49 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• If you were prescribed a steriod cream last time, you'll need it again. There is on OTC medication beyond benadryl that will help when you are THAT allergic to it. Especially when you didn't know you got into it and couldn't get it washed off with HOT water immediately.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:41 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Oatmeal and baking soda baths can help. ( JUST BE SURE TO SPOON THE OATMEAL OUT OF THE TUB AFTER YOU BATHE ! IT CAN REALLY CLOG YOUR DRAIN ! ) Also, patting plain ol' Noxema on the itches can help too. Some folks swear by rubbing alcohol. If you can find some jewelweed in the woods and know what it looks like it's an old remedy for poison ivy. Jewelweed is a succulent plant with little orange flowers. I put the jewelweed in my blender and make a mush out of it to apply...
    IndigoRose

Answer by IndigoRose at 7:47 AM on Nov. 18, 2010