family bed

My baby is 10 weeks and was sleeping in a bassinet until about 3 weeks ago. She was getting really fussy and so I decided one night to keep her on her sleep positioner between my husband and I. She has been sleeping pretty good thru the night and it's much easier to breastfeed her. Any ideas on the family bed thing? Good idea or bad? Can it spoil her?

calliesmommie

Asked by calliesmommie at 11:39 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have a journal entry on this called "Better than CIO" - you can check it out for an in depth opinion on the subject..
    But to answer your question here- I wouldn't have it any other way!!!
    I simply cannot get up 15 times a night to put my LOs back down, and I don't know many mothers who can or will..
    You cannot spoil a baby.
    Yes, they eventually transition to their own beds.
    And the risks are minimal- much fewer than crib sleeping.. Just keep a night light on so you can check on breathing, change diapers.. Keep bedding away from babe.. Avoid pillows near babe. Try to push the bed up against a wall.. And until DH gets used to it- put yourself between him and the baby.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 12:08 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I read an article two days ago about 4 separate baby deaths due to the baby sleeping in the bed!
    sylvia-ann

Answer by sylvia-ann at 11:44 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I did the family bed with my kids. It worked well for us. When it became too much, I transitioned by putting a pallet on the floor for the kids then as they got older they moved to their own beds. I loved it and don't believe you can spoil kids by giving them the support they need as babies. Also, make sure no matter which method you use you are getting enough really good sleep. You need sleep so much. Please weigh all opinions and be proud and don't feel guilty about whatever you choose. *Flashing Support sign*
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:44 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• i think a family bed is a great idea if it works for you! i don't think it spoils a child at all. i slept off and on in my mom's bed until i was 15, i was never spoiled and it certainly didn't ruin me. just make sure to take the precautions of keeping her away from too much bedding, and away from the edges.
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 11:45 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• The only time I have ever heard of baby deaths in a family bed there was drugs or alcohol involved.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:45 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• sylvia-ann - i just wanted to say that there are instances where cribs have caused deaths too, it has to be looked at from both perspectives
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 11:46 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I believe the family bed is a personal choice. If it works for you and everyone is happy then it's good. I also believe you can't spoil babys. They grow so fast so enjoy every moment. As long as your comfortable and happy then it works. I'm sure your doing a great job and making the decisions that work for your family.
    ZakZaksmom

Answer by ZakZaksmom at 11:50 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• If it is what works for you then by all means do it! It wasn't the choice hubby and I had made for ours but thats ok too, you need to do what YOU feel is right, your mom and he is dad and if thats the choice that you to make then so be it, you don't need to answer or explain to anyone - Good Luckto you and yours
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 11:53 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• llansky- I never meant to imply against it, sorry if it came out that way, of course its a personal choice , and if its worked for you great, but no one else mentioned the risks, that is the one that came to mind since i read that article, and it was proven in those cases there were no drugs or alcolhol involved, but i know it has been in some cases
    sylvia-ann

Answer by sylvia-ann at 11:55 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• When my son was born he slept in our bed. It was easier for me with breast feeding and he slept through the night. But after a few months I wasnted my bed back and we slowly stated to get him to sleep in his own bed. I feel that it's the parents choice. I don't think it's bad. I just know that a lot of people told me that I should break the habit before son turns five.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Nov. 4, 2008