child custody case - what questions should be asked?

My 3 yr re-evaluation is up and I must go to court for child custody. I have custody at present. What will I be expecting from the court hearing to prepare myself.

Ana938

Asked by Ana938 at 8:41 AM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Do you have an attorney? If not, you should have one since they are best at preparing you for court & being prepared for any mishaps. Good luck :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:47 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• ..♥get an attorney..i found that it's the best thing to have in these cases...they will help and guide you.....♥best of luck...also some of them will help if you do not have the money up fromt sometimes they will put you on a payment plan to help if you do not have the money right away for them...
    gracelessstar21

Answer by gracelessstar21 at 9:10 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• You need an attorney. Each case is different and the laws are different. Think about what you had to do to get custody. I'm not sure what you mean by a 3 year evaluation. Is the child's father fighting you for custody, or is it that you've had problems with the state, and they are evaluating you to make sure you are capable of taking care of the child? Whichever is the case, I'm assuming you need to prove that you have enough finances to provide for the child. Are you working or are you being supported by the state? Where do you live? Is it clean and well cared for. Do you provide a good emotional environment for your child. Is there a problem with drugs or alcohol? Is the child in good health? If school age, attending school? How many absences. Do you have report cards or teacher's evaluations? Think about what happened in court last time. When you go, be neat and cleanly dressed. Be respectful of those asking questions.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:38 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• an attorney would be the best route to go. They can tell you exactly what you need to prepare your case.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:21 PM on Nov. 19, 2010