when do babies develop the "pincer" grasp?

my Ds is almost 10 months and has not yet developed the "pincer" grasp. when grabbing anything he still "rakes" with his whole hand. is this normal?

Twiseman

Asked by Twiseman at 11:47 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Each baby has their own timeline when they develop things, My son Zac was 7-8 months old when he started picking this up with his thumb and finger. My son Nic was a 32 weeker and he developed that around 9 months and Tucker my baby was a 28 weeker and he developed that around 10 1/2 months...

What I did to encourage fine motor skills like that...Get a bunch of finger type foods...and instead of giving your baby several of the finger food...Do one at a time. Make it fun and hold the food in your palm of your hand...Make the food move around and a little difficult for your baby to grasp it..{or rake it}.It will make your little one concentrate on using the thumb and finger...It's all about coordination...Don't sweat it, All babes are different in development.

nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 11:58 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• i think its normally about 6 months and everyone is diffrent but yeah i think he should have that down by 10 months but he could just be a late bloomer my daughter started getting her teeth way late so dont worry but i would ask the doctor
    akashaismyworld

Answer by akashaismyworld at 3:43 AM on Nov. 4, 2008