I have a bad cold and can not get over it:(

I just recently found out that I am pregnant and I do not know what I can and cannot take for a cold. Please help me. It is going to my chest now and I do not feel good at all.

Simple925

Asked by Simple925 at 8:56 AM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Orange juice and vitamin C. Chicken soup, Rest.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:59 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Tylenol, Extra Strength Tylenol, Sudafed (pseudoephedrine), Saline Nasal, Tylenol & Motrin Cold/Flu/Sinus products (make sure alcohol free)

These are all safe during pregnancy. Get Well Soon!
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 9:00 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• To let you know

Aleve with Naproxen, Motrin & Advil with Ibuprofen for pain, headache, fever, bodyaches should only be used before 28 weeks
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 9:02 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Do not take anything other than tylenol for a fever or aches.... no motrin (only if absolutely need in the 2nd trimester) no sinus medicine or sudafed. There are plenty of safe homopathic natural remedies that can help. Raw garlic is a natural antibiotic.... In my household whenever someone feels something going on we crush/mince a clove of garlic and smoother it with honey and take it on a spoon (just like it were cough syrup) the honey helps when your sick as well and helps the garlic go down.... Do this 2xs a day for 3 days and then once a day for the rest of the week and you will feel better in no time. Also oil of oregeno or basil is good for fighting off infections... put 2-4 drops under your tongue and let it sit there for 2 minutes before swallowing.... wash it down with some oj..... and of course homemade chicken noodle soup actually has been proven to help colds (especially when it's in your chest) Good luck
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 9:07 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Desert Rose those medicines are only safe in moderation between wks 12 and 28 wks (during the 2nd trimester) she just recently found out she is pregnant. Simple, I would ask your doctor if you are not sure.... better to be safe than sorry.
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 9:09 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Do not take anything with Ibuprofen in it. This is known to cause birthdefects, Take something with Tylenol. If you are unsure of what you can and can't have call your ob and ask. Better to be safe then sorry.
    jnd951999

Answer by jnd951999 at 9:21 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I would talk to your doctor before taking anything other than tylenol.
    aliceinlove

Answer by aliceinlove at 10:17 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Your PCP will help you with this, all are different on what they suggest. I have heard though that sudefed is approved by some, but other's don't like it. My OBGYN suggested that I go to my PCP for colds, and illnesses still. They are in the same office building and would consult each other if the PCP was unsure of a reaction to something.
    b_stotka

Answer by b_stotka at 10:31 AM on Nov. 18, 2010