Diper bag question:)

Is it worth to invest money into diper bag? I don't want to get one of those funny looking diper bags in pink or blue, I found a few that I really like but becouse it's a leather bag it's a bit pricey. how long did you used your diper bag is it that important to have?

Albi1623

Asked by Albi1623 at 11:53 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in General Parenting

• I didn't use a diaper bag. I used a bookbag. It was easier for me to use and carry around. They are VERY important to have one though! Otherwise you'll be carrying diapers, wipes, formula, bibs, extra clothes in case the baby wets or messes up the outfit that they are wearing, binks and whatever else you may need, in your arms. Plus the baby! So I would say invest in one that is going to be good for what you are going to be putting in it and that will not be so big that it's difficult to carry. Especially when you are carrying the baby in the car seat because that gets VERY heavy after a while! Trust me! That's why I like the book bag, I just threw it on my back and had both arms to carry my son! :) Hope this helps! :)
    kimbercase26

Answer by kimbercase26 at 12:10 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I used mine for a long time! As a matter of fact, I sometimes miss it now that I no longer need it for my kids! I loved having everything I needed in one bag and I got so used to the convience of diaper wipes that I still carry those. Everyone's different, but I loved the cutesy, pink ones I had for my girls!

And to Anon at 12:04, since you were oh so helpful in correcting her spelling, let me give you some pointers-- The first letter in a sentence should be capitalized. Also, if you are going to criticize others, make sure you are perfect!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 12:12 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• My mom bought me a black leather diaper bag that was a backpack. We still use it as an overnight bag several years later. It just looks like a regular backpack, except inside it has an insulated pocket for a bottle, other small pockets for pacifiers and such, and there's a separate compartment in the bottom to hold a changing pad and soiled clothes. She got it thorugh AVON, but I've seen similar bags at K-Mart and Target. So my advice would be to invest in something you would use again as a tote or overnight bag, with a neutral coloring. It doesn't even have to be a diaper bag, just a large purse or something.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 12:13 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• You know what they say about when you "assume" something! :0)
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 12:24 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• You certainly need SOMETHING to carry all the baby's stuff in! You'll need a changing pad, diapers, wipes, a change of clothes, bottles and formula if you're not breastfeeding, toys to keep baby entertained, extra bibs, a blanket, binkies... I started off with a regular diaper bag that was cute- it was black and white houndstooth, not pink or blue. It looked like a big purse and came with a matching changing pad. It was good because it had the extra pockets and stuff inside so everything had it's place. Soon after my son turned one I got rid of my travel system stroller and got the type that folds like an umbrella stroller with 2 handles. I started (and am still) using my old backpack from college as a diaper bag because you can hang it right over the two handles of the stroller- easy access to everything inside without even taking it off the stroller and you can still get to the basket underneath easily!
    winkie_pinkie

Answer by winkie_pinkie at 12:29 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I just used the one I got from the hospital. Later I downsized to a back pack type bag when my baby became a toddler & didnt need as much stuff.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• A messenger style bag works pretty well, with all of the pockets and such. It also hangs quite nicely across your back or over a stroller.
    gypsysmiles

Answer by gypsysmiles at 12:33 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• My SIL got me a Vera Bradley diaper bag and I LOVE it!! It's not frilly pink or blue...well, it IS blue, but not baby blue LOL! It has pockets for bottles and things and came with a changing pad. Plus, if it gets dirty I can just throw it in the washer and it looks brand new again. My kids are 2 and 2 1/2 and we still use it. Have to have spare clothes if someone has an accident in there undies, carry snacks and sippy cups, etc. I don't know what anyone with a baby would do without a diaper bag!
    LizClara

Answer by LizClara at 12:53 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• you should go ahead and invest in the more expensive bag.
    also check online stores like amazon.com where you can read customer ratings for different brands of bags.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 10:52 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I used one with my oldest son but not with my youngest son. i bought myself a bigger purse that had a place on the outside for a bottle that way i could have a cute purse and not carry one of those huge diaper bags
    blueeyed4505

Answer by blueeyed4505 at 12:15 PM on Nov. 4, 2008