What Holiday traditions do you have with your family?

b_stotka

Asked by b_stotka at 9:26 AM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Holidays

• Several weeks before, my cousins, aunts and uncles, we all get together to make tamales. Then we meet at my uncle's house for a Christmas Eve potluck dinner, presents, etc.

At our home, every year we buy each family member a new ornament. It's put in a car of our Christmas train and rides around the tree which we put up about 2 weeks before Christmas, until Christmas day when it's added to the decorations already on the tree. I make each of the boys a new pair of Christmas PJ's, and they open those on Christmas Eve before they go to bed (they are now 19, 21 & 28 and still expect their jammies!!) We bake lots of cookies, they each have their favorites, and on Christmas Day we have all of their favorite appetizers and finger foods (made ahead so that I can relax) and a ham with rolls, and just sit around watching Christmas movies and eating....and enjoying the company.......sometimes friends stop by...it's very casual
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:38 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• the weekend before X-mas. The whole family gets together.

Aunts, Uncles, cousins, sisters, brothers, new family members and we enjoy the day like it is x-mas....

We do a grab bag for the adults and the kids get a little something....

Happy Holidays....
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 9:32 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• As a Jewish family, in the winter, we celebrate Chanukah. It's eight nights of lighting candles remembering the miracle. On the 1st night, we donate to our synagogue. On the 4th night, the kids are given a new privilege. This year, my 11 year old daughter will be able to shave her underarms. On the 8th night, we do a sort of expensive gift they have asked for. On the other nights, we visit or entertain friends and family.

December 25 happens to be my son's birthday so we usually do an in-home birthday party for him and family since most places are closed.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 9:54 AM on Nov. 18, 2010