What do you say about Santa?

My step-son knows the big secret about the man in the red-suit. But my daughter is 2, and I have one on the way. I started saying a while ago that Mommy and Daddy have to pay Santa to come and visit us. This way she's understanding that this recession is effecting even Santa Claus! Does anyone else say things like this?

b_stotka

Asked by b_stotka at 9:31 AM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Holidays

• I tell them and I have been telling them this for years. Santa has a full load and must buy for everyone. Meaning family and friends so I am not lying.

So I do minimize the cost of buying them gifts, I don't over indulge any more because in Reality when they are 14 and 15 they want video games, phones and very expensive stuff, I tell my older kids santa will give you what is available and what you deserve.

If you do over indulge they expect it forever, and half of the stuff they don't play with, so it is mainly what they want.

Naughty or Nice.... :)
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 9:36 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• No... when my 4 year old says something about Santa, I respond with something along the lines of "Yes, he's for fun. He's not real, remember. He's like a cartoon."
    Why would you want to stress your two year old out about money issues?
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 9:36 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• We have NEVER taught our child a LIE. period. We talked to our son about giving gifts in the SPIRIT of Santa clause/ st nick. we teach him the history and the tradition. not a lie.
    katiPeas

Answer by katiPeas at 9:44 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• our 5 1/2yo isn't crazy about santa's representatives that are all over the stores and the mall for photo-ops. in fact, he hates anyone dressed up in costume. ..but he knows everything comes from mom/dad. he's not worried about being good/bad..he just thinks if you're bad, you'll be on the naughty-list..somehow, the concept of being on the naughty-list and not getting anything for xmas didn't connect with him. LOL!
    he knows the whole north pole/elves/reindeer thing, too. he's just not worried about it either way. in other words, santa is part of xmas, but not the end-all.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:59 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

I love this! I don't want to tell my son he's not real, I want him to believe. It's one of the best things about being a child (he's 4), believing in magic. The history and tradiition of Santa Clause IS real.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:07 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I have always told them Santa is a big lie adults say to make Christmas more special for some kids. I don't like the idea of Santa and have always told my kids its a load of bull. I buy them presents not Santa.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 10:08 AM on Nov. 18, 2010