"angry mom syndrome"?

i am 38 weeks pregnant. i have a 5 yr old boy who literally ignores my every request. he is pooping himself, and peeing himself just b/c he feels like it. he has no respect for getting hurt while to the bus stop. he will literally run beside a moving car, truck, or school bus. and of course in my condition, i can't chase him. he tells me hes mad b/c we don't go out and do things, but when we do go out and do things he is horrible. runs through the store, runs through the parking lots, has fits of rage when i tell him no about candy, a toy, or anything.
people have been telling me its b/c of the baby, but one, shes not even here yet, and two, this has been starting since before i was even pregnant. i am at my point right now, where i will pay anything to get him into an after school program or anything just so i don't have to deal with him anymore. don't get me wrong, i luv my son. hes my world, but i can't take it anymore!

mama2bof2

Asked by mama2bof2 at 9:33 AM on Nov. 18, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• No, it's not because of the baby.
    It's because he has no discipline. He does what he wants because he CAN
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:37 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• What type of punishment do you use? b/c to me it sounds like to you need to change your approach. Me I'm a spanker and I say swat him.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 9:38 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Sounds like you are overwhelmed. I would talk to the school consoler and see what is suggested. Given that you are preggo, this isn't going to get easier. Get help now, and an after school program isn't a bad idea, you both could use a break from each other.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 9:39 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• i am NOT goingn to pussy foot here. either you have been letting him run wild ALL ALONG .....or he has a serious issue going on. pooping, peeing on himself at 5? ignoring danger and not afraid of getting hurt? these sound like developmental issues or OVERLY LENIENT parental issues. You are not going to fix this by sending him away. you are not going to fix this by ignoring it. if you love you son, which i do believe you do, you need to BUCKLE DOWN and BE A FREAKING PARENT TO THAT CHILD. discipline, and stick with it. will it be easy? HELL NO. you have liklely let him run pretty wild for a long time. reigning him in is NOT going to eb a walk in the park. but consistancy, discipline and being a MOM is going to win out in the end. dont cop out just suck it up and get to it.

Unless you think this might be a developmental issue. then please have him assessed by progessionals.
    katiPeas

Answer by katiPeas at 9:39 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• i know just how u feel, and nothing wrong with putting him in after school, my daughter was the same way till she got into pre-k now when she gets home she is too tired to even try to act up.
    britt_howard

Answer by britt_howard at 9:41 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I would negative you britt howard if i could yet. sorry. but wow.
    katiPeas

Answer by katiPeas at 9:43 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Sounds like jealousy....

Make him more a part of your pregnancy.. He sounds like he is calling for your attention. You have to earn it and reward him for positive behaivor, even the little things. I have been through this.

Start off by saying lets have a great day, what would you like to do with mommy today, it might take a few weeks but he will love that your including him. Say ok, if we go to the park and you behaive I will have a little surprise for you-stickers,and when he gets a good amount award him with a car/99 cents.

Also, when he does potty, don't yell just remind him he is a big boy, and the baby is going to poop on him/her self because the baby is a baby and how wonderful it is too be a big boy. Encourage him: they have loads of books at the library to show him what big brothers do. Take him there and read, let him ask questions and reward him for being good in the library-ice cream, special dinner.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 9:44 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Daddy needs to lend a hand and give the 5YO some attn so you can chill out and be pregnant :)
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:48 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Your child is desperately seeking discipline. I believe different children respond better to different punishments. I do spanking or taking away things he likes, which usually works better than spanking bc it lasts longer that way. Spanking is just a temporary fix. Is the father in the picture, or even a male role model, bc they could help with the discipline until after you have the baby, bc it will probably get worse if you wait until after bc jealously issues will begin to arise then. You have got to do something now or have someone help you. His safety and your sanity are on the line. Goodluck !
    meg4763

Answer by meg4763 at 9:49 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• you really need to discipline your child! I am about to have my 5th child with DH, and I cn take all 4 of my kids while 8 monthes pregnant to the store and NEVER have a problem wth behavior! You need to be strct, consistant, and continual, with all discipline! This is not the childs fault, it is yours for not laying limits!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:54 AM on Nov. 18, 2010