I feel so good after I go shopping! How can I fullfill this need and still save money?

I never thought of my self as a emotional shopper but I've learned over the past years that I really feel good when I go shopping, it's like a drug. Now dont get me wrong I'm not a compulsive shopper neither am I in any debt, I dont trust myself with a credit card. I just like the feeling of buying something, I like going grocery shopping too. I'm hopeless...or hopelessly in love with shopping!

Jenaiko01

Asked by Jenaiko01 at 9:39 AM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Shopping

• go to weusecoupons.com. learn how to COUPON SHOP. trust me, learning how to super coupon will fill that need and not be a burden financially on your family. I also suggest you get some help too though, look in to WHY you feel this way so strongly you dont trust yourself with a credit card. there is something emotional going on here that you need to address most likely
    katiPeas

Answer by katiPeas at 9:41 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• i just go to goodwill. I can buy a ton of stuff for under $20 and it fills my shopping need.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 10:03 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• same here, I am a compulsive shopper or was until I got medically treated for OCD. I couldn't live without my ABILIFY. But I still like to shop and with no credit cards and very little cash, I can't. My husband lost his job and his income drastically changed when he got a new job. We had to declare bankruptcy so there is no credit cards in our house anymore.

My husband will let me have a few dollars now and then to either hit the thrift stores or the yard sales and that tends to satisfy my need to shop.
    horsegal2760

Answer by horsegal2760 at 1:23 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Yep, frequenting the thrift shops quells the shopping gene. Today I bought a cornflower blue long-sleeved shirt for $1, a ceramic pet food bowl for $3 (says Fuzz Butt on the side - that makes me smile); and some icicle Christmas decorations for $1 - I went away happy.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:55 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Start a savings account or retirement account and have deductions taken out automatically, you are saving money and still getting to shop while creating a nest egg from money you don't even see. :)
    FinancialMomma

Answer by FinancialMomma at 4:56 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• give yourself a monthly shopping allowance and when its gone its gone! I lie shopping too. My mom says its in our blood because men were hunters and women were the gatherers..she just gathers at the mall instead of the berry bush!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:59 PM on Nov. 19, 2010