PECS and three yr old, new some hints what to do, what not to do

my daughter three in special ed (autism) she is doing great by the way
anyway
they (therapists and teachers) introduced PECS at school, they have sent home a few PECS for me to use at home, so far i am using in am for getting ready for school. the system is a 12 inch board, one side things need to do, other side "all Done". daughter is doing well-says all done, after she is used to at home, can start one for potty training, along with school

any suggestions on what TO do, what NOT to do

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 9:54 AM on Nov. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• Sounds like you are doing great with them so far. My suggestions are to be consistent with their use & don't overwhelm her with too many at once.

mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:00 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• We did food for my son, just made pec's for his favorite foods, laminated them with clear contact paper (because he had a tendency to rip paper), and stuck small magnets on the back so we could put on the front of the refrigerator his choices for snacks. When he wanted something he could go get the magnet with the right picture and bring it to me. We also made him an "I want" board so he could request things - once he learned to use it it was extremely helpful! It had two pictures for I want . . . and then a space for him to put in the pec for what he wanted (outside was a common request) and he could use it for food, toys, places, etc.
    Just introduce them slowly. I'm assuming you've seen the website do2learn.com ? It was helpful for me.

Answer by missanc at 10:20 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• thanks
    was thinking of food things
    school is making for her as i request ones i need
    first we are starting with transition to school
    next will be the potty!
    will ask if she is doing well, if a frig one separte will be good or too much when we do the potty one

thanks so much
    kat
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 12:35 PM on Nov. 18, 2010