I was raised Catholic and thinking of converting to Christian, I need advice-diffrenc between both....

Ok, I am not the most religious person in the world, but come to realize, my self and children need God in their life.

We went to a christian church suggested by a woman I don't even know (long story) and my kids love it there. Everyone has been so nice, helpful and they have wonderful programs for the youth. I also have been attending bible study, and really enjoy it. Just so confused, what is the diffrence???

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 9:57 AM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Being Catholic is being Christian.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 9:58 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• BIBLE BAPTIST CHURCH
    KFree907

Comment by KFree907 (original poster) at 9:59 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• The first poster is correct. I went from being Baptist to being Catholic because I was happier in the Catholic church. If you are enjoying your church continue on! I believe will see people from all different faiths in heaven. :)
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:04 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• i was rasied catholic also
    been been practicing though, so take my knowledge not as fact
    i think some differences are
    all catholics are christian, but not all christians are catholic
    cathoilc believes in Mary being mother of Christ and puts her high up on the scale- prays to her etc
    other christians do not have her so high up there
    also catholic services are very formal if you will, say prayers like you have to memorize, same service pretty much all the time except the sermon is preist talking freely, but catholic service more memorized service

will be curious as to what others say, because i consider myself christain would like to find new church, but i do not want to go to one that condems others who are not Christ believers (i will leave judgement up to God, not me a mere human)
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:04 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• i'm not catholic, so i can't give you their definitive beliefs. if you haven't already, you need to speak to the pastor or associate pastor of this new church, and get information on this particular branch of baptist, such as their faith/mission statement. what is the base of their belief, and does it lineup with scripture? if you knew which sect this church aligns itself to (southern baptist? missionary baptist?) you can go online and search exactly what sets them apart from other churches, even other baptist churches.
    however, what matters is how this church makes you feel as a family, is it preaching the word of God (meaning, you'll have to study for yourself to make sure what you're hearing is scriptural), is it a growing/welcoming church?
    you may find yourself not agreeing with everything 100%, but that's normal in any denom. if in your heart you feel God speaking and saying 'yes' to this church, then go with it.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:07 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Catholicism is just another branch of Christianity. THe difference is in the way you worship. BEing Christian means a lot of different things but usually all Christians believe in one God and Jesus Christ as his son and the Messiah.
    bellsandheels

Answer by bellsandheels at 10:16 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I am Catholic and love it. Also a catholic is a christian . Just go to wherever you and your family feel more comfortable.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 10:18 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Catholics are Christians who believe in 7 sacraments, instead of only 3 or 5. They believe in transubstantiation, the intercession of saints, the perpetual virginity of Mary, purgatory, and a few other differences from Protestant churches.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:40 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Christian = belief that Jesus was the son of God. Simple as that. Catholics believe that Jesus was the son of God there for they are Christian. But Christianity has 3 main sects - Orthodox, Catholic, and Protestant. Orthodox - Greek, Russian, Ethiopian; Catholic; Protestant - Lutheran, Presbyterian, United Methodist, Baptist, Episcopal, etc.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:41 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• as the others said, Cotholocs are Christian, just a different style of teaching an worship. Every denomination varies in those aspects but the basic teaching is the same. Whereever you feel comfortable and the Word id ministered to you and it Feels right to you is good. God bless you as you grow and mature in your walk, in whatever denomination you land in!!
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 11:28 AM on Nov. 18, 2010