Do any of you cook turkey in the oven overnight the night before Thanksgiving?

My mom is coming over and I asked her to help me do the turkey. (I'm a little culinarily challenged...) She's staying the night before and is all excited to put the turkey in overnight so when we wake up in the morning it smells all good throughout the house.
My concerns are, obviously, FIRE... but also won't the turkey be dry? She wants to set the oven at like 250 but aren't you supposed to baste it? I really don't want a dry turkey but I want my mom to feel needed too, so I don't want to cut down her idea... got any input?

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 10:11 AM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I wouldn't do that. Then it will be so cold! A small turkey will only take 4 hours, tops. Then what will you do wit it? Put it in the fridge? Let it sit out? Just put it in in the morning. Let your mother help you with all the sides the night before.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:21 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• No,they don't need to be basted. As long as its covered in foil it won't dry out.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:12 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Also I'm planning on a VERY small Thanksgiving... so I'd like to get a turkey fit for maybe 8-10 people? I don't expect more than 4 so I think that would be plenty of leftovers and cover any suprise people who might stop in.
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 10:14 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• it should cook for 20 minutes per pound....there is no reason to cook it over night, that is just something women did back in the day, a long time ago.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:38 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Thanks ladies! I decided to just do it the day of. Mompam's right - it will be cold waiting for dinnertime then what're we gonna do? Reheat it? YUK!!
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 11:57 AM on Nov. 18, 2010