How do we get out of watching my MIL's annoying dog?

My hubby is avoiding his Mom because his parents are going out of town for a week and he's afraid his Mom is going to wait until the last minute (the day before they are scheduled to leave) and ask us to watch her dog. This dog is such a pain in the butt...it's a German Sheppard with separation anxiety so you can't leave it home alone or it will destroy your house. She also sheds like crazy. Now don't get me wrong, I love dogs, but this one has so many issues (which I feel were mostly caused by her owner) and I don't think it's fair that they should wait until the last minute to dump the dog on us. I told hubby that if she asks we should just tell her we made plans to go out of town and there's no way we can bring her with us, but he won't lie. I think in this case we should make an exception. Any ideas?

not-the-momma

Asked by not-the-momma at 10:15 AM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Pets

• Just say no. A dog is a luxury and a responsibility and their problematic dog should not have to become your problem because they choose to have a dog and want to travel. You should look up a few reputable pet sitters- call a vet's office for a few numbers. Then have your hubby give them the numbers to call. Tell them you feel that this pet would be more comfortable and less stressed staying in her own home. The stress makes her very difficult to handle and very destructive when they are away. Tell them you consulted with a professional animal behaviorist and she recommended the dog stay in her own stable , familiar environment with a pet sitter ; )

If that doesn't work, stop the hinting and tell them you just can't handle this dog and they need to make other arrangements. They obviously have no problem taking advantage of you, so put down your foot. I mean have your husband put his foot down! Good luck, you are too nice!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 3:49 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Actually, I think your husband needs to "man up" and tell her that he loves her, and there's a lot he's willing to do to help her, but that watching the dog is too disruptive to your household, so that is one thing you guys can't do for them. Lying won't help because there will just be another trip eventually, and you can only keep lying for so long.

She needs to put the dog in a kennel, or get a paid dogsitter.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:20 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Indirectly you are playing games by avoiding her and making up stories. Be upfront. Just tell her you are not able to do it. No explanation needed.And if you do want to give her an explanation, the truth is a great one. It'll keep her from ever asking again. It's her problem if she doesn't communicate with you and expect you to do something for her on short notices that comes with huge responsibility. There are kennels for that stuff. I'm not being mean, I'm just a straight shooter sort of girl. lol
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:24 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Don't wait until the last minute. Ask her if she wants or is planning on you taking care of the dog.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:17 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I think if she asks you should tell her you have a busy week and wont be home much and the dog doesnt do well if you arent home. Tell her you heard about an awesome Kennel your friends talk about and give her a phone number to a local kennel. If she watches your kids very much this could backfire. If you want her to be inconvienced for you then you may want to consider watching the dog. Can you put the dog in a crate when you are gone?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:20 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I would call her and ask what arrangements she has made for her dog because if she was planning on asking you, you aren't going to be able to do it....you don't need to give her a reason.....if she asks why not, just say, we cannot, and we wanted to give you plenty of notice so that you can make other arrangements...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:20 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Your husband needs to grow a pair and tell his mother that her dog is not welcome for a week in your house.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:28 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Any excuse will do. They need to send it to a doggy bed and breakfast.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:39 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Go ahead and make some plans that would ruin the chances of you taking care of the dog. Then just casually bring up the plans in conversation with her so she'll know you're busy.

Or just be honest say no. Maybe she could board the dog somewhere instead.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 10:21 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Like we tell our kids. "Just say NO".
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:03 PM on Nov. 18, 2010