Catholic/Baptist Church I don't know if I feel God, am I suppose too?

I know when I went to the Catholic church I was comfortable, but my kids were not, and they were bored. They fought with me too go...One out of 4 of my kids liked it.

Now they look forward too it, each child is diffrent. So I am speaking of my own children. I know at bible study, I feel at ease, like everyone is helpful and trying to show me the way. Am I there yet no, but I am nervouse at first going in but when I leave I am so happy I did it. Could that be feeling God????

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 10:38 AM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would worry less about where you are going to church right now. Go somewhere that you and your kids are happy. Start reading the Bible - it may help to start out with a Bible Study book (it always helps me!). I really like Beth Moore, she has several good books out for women not written for any specific denomination, just basic Bible. Once you get in to the Bible, read it, study it, pray about what you're reading and learning, then you will know if the church you are attending is aligned with your beliefs. But you have to know your beliefs before you can know whether or not a church is the right one for you.

Answer by missanc at 1:07 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• The presence of God is not always a feeling. He is always there..always!
    The peace that you receive from Mass and the Eucharist is most certainly God given. Of course you will feel nervous walking in to church. You are walking into the real presence of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!
    Rejoice in his love for you and your family. You are blessed to have a church were you feel at home and part of a community.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 11:28 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• If you're happy there, it doesn't matter.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:41 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• GOD IS DEALING WITH YOU!!!! IF YOU KEEP GOING YOU WILL BE AT A PLACE WHERE YOU WILL NOT BE SCARE AND YOU WILL BE LOOKING FORWARD TO GOING EVERY WEEK. ON MY BIBLE STUDY, WE HAVE CHURCH SERVICE AND IT BE ON FIRE AND I THANK GOD FOR ABLING ME TO BE THERE TO RECEIVE. ARE YOU GOING SEEKING FOR WHAT GOD HAS FOR YOU? JUST RELAX AND ENJOY AND GOD WILL KEEP SPEAKING TO YOU!!!!!!
    paishar2

Answer by paishar2 at 6:03 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Does your Catholic Church have a nursery/daycare/CCD/Sunday School in which you can leave the kids while you attend Mass? Did you enroll your children in CCD/Religious Education? I hate to say this, but can you leave your kids w/ DH while you go to Mass? When our kids were much younger, DH & I routinely went to different Masses - one stayed home while the other went, then switched for later that day.

Sometimes kids will fight w/ parents on a lot of things - eating broccoli, brushing teeth, taking a shower, making the bed, etc. Being an effective parent means becoming a creative parent. =)
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 10:42 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• One more thing - do you have an Adoration Chapel? You can try going to Eucharistic Adoration for one hour, maybe without the kids, to get some quiet contemplation and prayer time.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 10:44 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• why is it required to worship the Christian god? You have to do whats right for you, not what others think you should do. Look into yourself and really really think about what you believe. Zeus won't strike you down with a lightning bolt for not believing in him.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:38 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• I just thought of something that might help your kids.  If they are reading age, you can find a gospel activity at http://new.catholicmom.com/category/sundays-gospel/.  Prior to going to Mass, sometimes I print out a crossword gospel activity from that website, have the kids read the gospel for that day, then figure out the crossword puzzle.  It's fun for them.  Sometimes they want to bring the crossword w/ them, and when it's time for the gospel to be read, I tell them it's time.  So they straighten up and REALLY pay attention.  They think it's neat that they have already read it before everyone else.

flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 8:38 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Does your parish have stations of the cross, stained glass windows, or some other art inside the sanctuary that the kids can ponder, "who is in the art, and what are the doing, what is happening?"

Sometimes after we pray but prior to the start of Mass, I ask the kids to point out certain things in the sanctuary: baptismal font, ambo, sanctuary lamp, tabernacle. During Mass they know the candles on either side of the ambo are lit, because the first part of Mass is called Liturgy of the Word. During the presentation of the gifts, the kids pay attention and watch as candles are lit on either side of the Altar instead, because that way they know it's time for the Liturgy of the Eucharist. Sometimes they miss the actual lighting, and are disappointed, but know that is something to look forward to for next week.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 8:39 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• If you end up being happy by the time you leave, I think you've found something really good. Many of us are nervous about new things. We go, we try it out, we leave happy. Eventually, we go and we're already happy; when we leave, we're even happier.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:21 PM on Nov. 19, 2010