Your 5 year old daughter asks you if she can have some "sports bras".. Do you buy them for her? Why or Why not?

SuperrMommyy

Asked by SuperrMommyy at 10:38 AM on Nov. 18, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I bought them for my girls when they were 4 and 5. My 7yo wears one everyday. She likes it so I don't care. Both of my girls are tiny and you can see their ribs so they will probably not need bras for a very long time. I don't care if they want to wear them though.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:00 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I was recently shopping with my 5YO and she saw a display of girl's bras in the kid's department, she was also very interested. I somehow distracted her and thankfully she's forgotten about it, but I'm guessing not for long. I'm not sure how I feel about it.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:43 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I dont think it's too early to teach your daughter to "cover" herself. As long as she knows what they are for and still wants them, but she needs to know it's not appropriate to just wear them around without a shirt. I think when my daughter turns 5 and she asked for one that's what I would do. She knows I wear a bra and it's to cover my nnurses, b/c everyone doesn't want to see my nurses (they are called nurses b/c we bf'ed and that's what we called them). So if she wanted to wear one under her clothes I would let her. I mean now a days you see young girls, expecially over weight girls, who look like they need to be wearing a training bra anyways
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 10:51 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Does she really know what they are? She might mean a tank top.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:40 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• She doesn't know what they are really used for.. she just thinks they are kind of like a bathing suit top.
    SuperrMommyy

Comment by SuperrMommyy (original poster) at 10:43 AM on Nov. 18, 2010