Why Do You Think Women Watch Soap Operas Less Than in the Past?

This is for an article I'm writing.

In the past 20 years or so, the number of soap opera viewers has declined. A few have even been cancelled. Why do you think that is?
A. more women are working
B. women are more educated
C. more TV choices
D. silly plot lines
E. plot lines take too long to wrap up
F. other (please explain)

HotMama330

Asked by HotMama330 at 10:38 AM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Entertainment

• My mom and grandma were into them. I was never interested in them, for me, I don't care for all trashy romance. I'm not into romance novels either. My mom and grandma were into those too. I hardly watch tv.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 10:43 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Women create enough drama in their own lives, they don't need to fulfill that part of themselves by watching it on TV.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 10:44 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• More women working, fewer stations carrying them, internet.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:44 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Life gets more hectic everyday. Woman now have more going on. Less time for that. I never got into them.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 10:47 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I think its because more women are working - I still love soaps but I read about them now, instead of watching them.
    tarakenyon06

Answer by tarakenyon06 at 10:55 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I would say B, D, and E. My mom and I watch One Life to Live which has gotten stupid over the years. Still waiting to find out who is Rex's dad (this story line has been going on for YEARS!) The plots aren't as good as they use to be. All my friends work and don't have time for soap operas except for the night ones Desperate Housewives if you call that a soap opera.
    MommabearGrr

Answer by MommabearGrr at 11:02 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I answered earlier but wanted to elaborate on one of the soap operas. I use to be a General Hospital fan (watched Laura and Luke marry and spend the night in a store.) I loved the soap opera and was a follower for many, many years. I forget what year I gave it up but it was the year the actors had the greatest turnover. I didn't want to watch a screen full of new people so I gave it up and converted to One Life to Live , a soap opera my mom watched when she was pregnant with me. I'm a stay at home mom who still watches soaps just wish they were better than what they are.
    MommabearGrr

Answer by MommabearGrr at 11:09 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I suppose Desperate Housewives could be considered a soap, but the nighttime ones have a different feel to them than the daytime ones. They're more like over the top dramas.
    HotMama330

Comment by HotMama330 (original poster) at 11:10 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• F - take too long to get into. There are so many characters and you can't just watch a couple episodes and know everything that is going on. I watch Days and have since birth (I didn't really watch when I was little, but it's the one my mom watched, so I kinda "grew up" with the kids in Salem lol)

Answer by missanc at 11:35 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I think it's because more women work and they are extremely busy. I still watch a couple of them,but I don't work. Also there are more movie choices. I think it's because of a lot of different things.When I was young and stayed at home with my mom there was no such thing Disney channels or Nick jr. to entertain us kids. I remember watching soaps with my mom. Also we have computer to connect us with family so we spend more time relating to real people. Ususally there is never just one reason for a change in anything, it's a lot of different things.
    chickychatter

Answer by chickychatter at 2:15 PM on Nov. 18, 2010