What happened to people knowing how to spell?

I'm sick of reading through all of the stuff on Cafemom and realizing that most of the population is completely uneducated. There is a spell check that apparently no one uses. If this is the future of our children then I'm terrified. Please people, learn how to spell.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Nov. 4, 2008 in About CafeMom

• People have no respect for themselves or the image that they project to others. The argument has been made (usually by those who cannot spell) that this is not school, and no one is being graded on spelling or grammar. The basis for this argument is rather stupid. They are correct in saying that this is not school - but it is real life. We are not children, we are adults! The majority of us have at minimum a high school education - there is no lack of education here. Perhaps it is about the lack of quality education, or perhaps it is simply laziness. It is not just CafeMom that is like this, either. You can find the same lack of self respect, or caring on everything from job applications to college homework assignments. How can one set a good example for their own children if they cannot spell or articulate themselves any better than a third grader?
    gypsysmiles

Answer by gypsysmiles at 12:31 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• well, i didn't know there was a spell check, but i'm happy to say that i'm not too terrible without it. i am lazy and don't use the shift key, but, my words are correct. the only excuse i accept is nursing at the keyboard.
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 12:25 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I've noticed this also, lack of spelling skills. I had no idea that there was a spell check either, but still, we should be able to spell the majority of the words we write...and it doesn't take but a few seconds to go over what we just typed!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Get some guts and post that under your name why dont you!!! There are some people here that probably didnt know that there was a spell check, and also there are alot of people on here that English is their second language.....If they bother you that bad then move the hell on, honastly im so sick of all the bitchy women on here bitching about petty things and especilly the ones that do it anonymously!!!!!!! I didn't know we had to have a masters degree to have a Cafe Mom account GET A LIFE AND SOMETHING THAT REALLY MATTERS TO WORRY ABOUT!!!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 12:35 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• What happened to compassion? What happened to consideration? What happened to humility? I'll take a bad speller over a self righteous, insensitive ego maniac any day. Did I spell everything right?
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 12:35 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Gypsy-

You hit the nail on the head. That is exactly what I'm trying to say with this question. We are trying to educate our children, yet we don't project an image of intelligence. I want my children to look up to me and to see an educated, strong woman. Not someone who can't take the time and effort to overview their writing and correct it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Well wonderful for you!!! Im a wonderful mother and I might spell a word wrong now and then so the hell what my kids can still look up to me and it doesn't mean I am stupid!!! So you do what you need to do to be your super smart super mom self so your kids can look up to you..... and leave everyone else alone it's none of your business!! AGAIN if you dont like it dont read it!!!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 12:43 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• It is hard to move past the issue when it is always present. Self righteous, insensitive egomaniac? That is entertaining - try educated, literate and intellectual. Typos are understandable, and usually obvious - but if I need to play "guess that word" because it is misspelled so badly that it could possibly be 3 or 4 different words (or the word is completely indecipherable), that is just ridiculous. I take issue with the fact that people don't care about how they do appear to the outside world. My former boss would toss any job application that was written in the same manner as the majority of posts are on here - lacking any sentence structure, proper punctuation (or punctuation at all, for that matter!) and unintelligible misspellings. Lets not even discuss how people assume that colloquial speech and text speak are appropriate to use in formal writing!
    gypsysmiles

Answer by gypsysmiles at 12:44 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Mishelly-

I don't feel that people who choose ignorance over knowledge deserve compassion. No one in my life has shown me any and I don't feel the need to show anyone else any. This is a harsh world we live in and we have to give our children the tools to survive. One of those tools is literacy. Learning how to read and write properly will take people places they didn't even know they could go. I'm not bashing people who make the occasional mistake. I'm pissed with the people who constantly type in "textspeak" and think that the whole world has to decipher what they have written. I'm not an egomaniac. I just realize the importance of education and hold my standards a bit higher.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I'd rather have my kids look up to me because I am kind and considerate of other people's feelings. By the way, I have a BA degree in English, and guess what, it doesn't make me in any way superior to the 17 year old, single mom on here just looking for some support!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 12:49 AM on Nov. 4, 2008