Under what casual social circumstances is religion an appropriate topic for discussion?

Where, and when is it EVER appropriate for the topic of religion to be broached in a casual social situation?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 10:51 AM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Never. Religion, sex, and politics should never be discussed in a casual social situation.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:51 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• A church get together. That's all I can think of really. Who would bring it up anywhere else? That's like what sort of underwear someone's got on, it's personal.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 10:52 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• like asking what sort of**

my apologies, it's still early for me =)
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 10:53 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• If all parties are friends that are aware of each other's religious background

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:56 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Almost never unless you are with people you are confident are comfortable with it, or at a church function.
    bellsandheels

Answer by bellsandheels at 10:57 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Never.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:57 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I, personally, would say never. Well, I guess maybe if I asked someone about their particular religion, only because I was interested in it.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:02 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• never
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 11:06 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I'd like to say never for both religion and politics, unless the purpose of the gathering is related to one of those. In intimate settings of family or close friends, I think it's ok for people to debate or discuss ideas of religion or politics if they can do it without putting the other person down. I'll discuss religious ideas with some people, but with most others I avoid the subject as much as possible. I don't think it's ever appropriate to be one the first things a person asks about when meeting someone in a casual social setting. If a person brings up their own views, then that opens the door for questions or discussion or the subject can be changed if the person isn't comfortable with the topic, but people should respect that for some it's a private matter.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:18 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• as long as all parties are agreement.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:28 AM on Nov. 18, 2010