For those of you who use the rhythm method, how do I begin?

I am sick of the side effects of birth control. I would like to try the rhythm method. What do I need to do/buy/know to start?

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 10:51 AM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Unless you have a solid 28 day cycle you really should look into Natural Family Planning.

You will need a chart (can get on line), a thermometer, and the determination to do it everyday. it only takes a couple of minutes a day but you have to pay attention to your body and not have sex when you shouldn't or make sure to use a condom.

A great reference is Taking Charge of your Fertility by Toni Weschler. PM me if you want more info.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:54 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Look up Natural Family Planning. Like in the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility. NFP is not the same as the rhythm method. It's not foolproof but is definitely a betteroption for you.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:53 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Look up ovulation charting. TRack your ovulation for a few months and when you're sure of your cycle avoid having sex during that time period.
    bellsandheels

Answer by bellsandheels at 10:55 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Get a good beat going.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:56 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Ive always used mymonthlycycle.com and charted my periods. After my first child I did this and just avoided sex during my fertile days. It worked unitll the first month I forgot to look at the calander on the website and honestly dont remember having sex that month but I did because I was pregnant.
    cudybug

Answer by cudybug at 10:59 AM on Nov. 18, 2010