When did you start giving your kids chores?

My kids are 9 & 13 and the only chore they have is cleaning their rooms once every two weeks and the 13 yr old empties the trash cans in all of the rooms and brings his laundry downstairs. I think they are old enough to give more chores (at least the 9 year old is old enough for more chores) but my hubby doesn't think we should. WTF?

not-the-momma

Asked by not-the-momma at 11:14 AM on Nov. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• I just recently started giving my kids chores (11 and 9). I have always been "OCD" about how things were done, and never let ANYONE help with anything. I have realized though, that my children have no sense of responsibility, and that's a shame on me! We now have a chore board, and work on a star system. For every star they get, they get an extra 30 minutes of video games, tv, computer, etc time. For every F they get, they lose that amount of time. A lot of their chores are things they should be doing anyway...like take a shower, brush your teeth, but they are also things that we used to have problems with getting them to do on a regular basis. Other things that they should also already be doing like take your plate to the sink and rinse it when you are done eating, taking care of their pets, I just started doing this, and it's working. After a while, I will add another chore to the list until they get used to doing it.
    cnice1976

Answer by cnice1976 at 12:00 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I don't really remember what age but I started out with picking up after themselves and them around age 10 they can clean bathrooms and do laundry. I never had a set system for chores, you know like a chore chart, but they do have to take care of themselves as in cleaning up after themselves, doing their own laundry, plates and glasses must be rinsed and in the sink. If I leave my 17 yr old home alone she will clean the house top to bottom without being asked
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:54 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Our children are given chores as soon as they can walk...They just didn't know it yet...Help Mommy....set the table, put away toys, make your bed, ect. Now, our youngest 3 collect eggs, feed and water the hens, feed and water the cats, take out the trash, clean their rooms, so the laundry...being a family means all pitching in and it will be self esteem...Any parent who loves their kids will give them chores...What do you mean I'm 20 and can't use the washing machine, clean my room, get a job, pick up after myself...that would be really bad...Chores are a good things...and if there is something they like to do let them...our 12 year old loves to cook so I'm teaching him...
    motherganey5

Answer by motherganey5 at 5:02 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• when they were able to walk and carry something at the same time.
    My son has been mowing the lawn since he was 7. On a riding lawnmower with 5-8 acres at a time.
    All 3 kids have been doing horse related work since they could walk and talk.
    they do alot
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:17 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• my 4 year old does chores, she cleans up her own toys and picks up her room when it's a mess (which is everyday lol). she also likes to help me with the dishes and with the laundry so i will let her. she feeds her cat too. all of this stuff she likes to do with the exception of cleaning her room. im sure when she's 9 she'll hate all of that.

but i disagree with your hubby, 9 and especially 13 are great ages to have a chore list. you can make a chore chart corresponding with the days of the week and everyone's names (including you and dh, that way everyone will be included and they won't feel like they're doing it all) and put stickers or whatever in their box when they have completed their chore. they both can put their own laundry away, help with dishes and the older one can help with the trash and cleaning the bathroom. both can help with pets if you have any.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:19 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• My son has had chores since he was 3.. of course they are age appropriate.. it started with picking up his toys, putting his clothes in the hamper..to now where he is 14 and he does dishes, cleans his cats litter box, mows the lawn every other time, and things of that nature. Chores in my opinion teach responsibility and accountability. Things are not just handed to us as adults. it is important for kids to learn to be responsible and handle tasks they are given in a timely manner. We do give allowance..ONLY if he does his chores each day the proper way.. if he hasnt done them by a certain time he gets docked the day and still has to do his chores. this is a very rare occasion since he likes having money..lol He also has to do a charitable activity twice a month for no pay. He hasnt had a problem with it and really enjoys helping others because of this.

Tzutchka

Answer by Tzutchka at 11:30 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• My son hasn't necessarily always had specific chores, but has been taught to help since he was very very small. Now that he's 8, he has chores that have been assigned to him. He takes out his trash can and one bathroom trash, helps take the bins out for trash collection day, cleans his room, hangs up his own clothes, and helps take care of the pets.
    PhantomsFairie

Answer by PhantomsFairie at 12:05 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I am adament about cleaning, and at ages 7, 4, and 3 my kids each have 2 household chores, plus their rooms! My one year old ven picks up her toys!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 12:27 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• My son is 9 and we started this year. We use an excel sheet to mark the jobs he does and when he does them. He gets paid for them but he also has to pay bills, save and tythe. He doesn't get the smae allowance every week because some nights he doesn't have a lot of chores. His regualr chores are to get homework done before dinner, wash dishes, make his bed, clean his room, feed the dogs and put away his clean clothes after I fold them. We'll be adding taking out the trash pretty soon.
    TaiyoandMe

Answer by TaiyoandMe at 12:27 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I gave all my 4 children CHORES after they had TURNED 7 to clean up their room & to make their BEDS the RIGHT WAY.
    Cuteone52

Answer by Cuteone52 at 1:23 PM on Nov. 18, 2010