Should parents be encouraged to allow their teens to experiment with alcohol in their homes and under their supervision to prevent dangerous situations from occurring outside the home?

Conley639

Asked by Conley639 at 11:34 AM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Uhhhh NO. It's not a guarantee your child will experiment. It's about good parenting and talking openly on subjects like this. I'm 32 and i've never been drunk or tried any drugs
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:35 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I can tell you from seeing it firsthand, this does not work. I have never seen this work. The parents exact words were "if they do it here, they won't do it anywhere else." It was literally a matter of days before that theory was out the window with disasterous results.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:44 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• NO! I know...and I'm related to....a number of "kids" in their early 20's whose parents allowed them to drink at home where it was "safe". It wasn't good for any of them. Most of them have been really wild & tried other things as well, it just gave them permission to push things a little further. Kids are probably going to experiment...even those from homes where they weren't "allowed" to drink, but the bottom line is, the more parents respect the law, & the more seriously parents take teen drinking, the more likely kids are to make the right decision & if they do experiment, to be more cautious in their actions.

I didn't drink at home as a teen, and didn't drink or do drugs of any kind as I got older. I do occasionally have a drink or 2 or 3, but I've never been a wild party girl just because I wasn't allowed to drink at home.

There's no guarantee any of our kids won't drink, but we can guarantee they know we feel about it
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:29 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I think no. My parents let me drink when I was a teenager and it led to some alcohol problems in my late teens and early twenties. I have it under control now but if I had not thought of it as being ok it might not have happened.
    bellsandheels

Answer by bellsandheels at 11:38 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• well, they say you cannot purchase alcohol under the age of 21. they do not say you cannot consume it under that age.

i personally won't let my daughters get drunk in my home. now maybe one glass of champaigne or whatever during the holidays i might make the exception to and they would have to stay home after drinking it.

tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:39 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• my parents always had the policy that we could drink at home, get wasted if we wanted, but if we went out and got drunk there would be hell to pay. we never took them up on it because the mystery and fun of doing something forbidden was gone.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:42 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Not unless they are older---like 21. I had my first drink at Christmas with my family but I was 21. But that was a LONG time ago....things have changed since then. And not for the better.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:53 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Simple, no!
    prettylob1

Answer by prettylob1 at 1:17 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Listen carefully, please. Just because someone CAN do something doesn't mean they should. Just because a young woman CAN get pregnant when they are 13 most certainly doesn't mean that she should. As for your comment on post traumatic stress, that is a mental issue brought on by serious life changing circumstances that can happed to anyone at any time no matter how mentally prepared you think you may be. Therefore that is a completely nonviable argumant. It isn't preventable is MOST circumstances like parents letting children drink.
    Scarlet_Delilah

Answer by Scarlet_Delilah at 1:37 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• No.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 2:58 PM on Nov. 18, 2010