Super resistant grays

Does anyone else have gray hair that just refuses to absorb haircolor? I'll color my hair and a week or two later,the gray is back. its not regrowth. The funny thing is,the non-gray hair keeps the color. I guess I'm doomed to have gray streaks! I can't afford the salon process. My stylist charges $65 and my hair grows super fast. I'd literally be in there every 4 weeks for touchups. I think my hubby would be pissed at me spending $25 for my hair every 6 weeks,and $65 for color. I've literally tried just about every color on the market. I'm not ready to be gray,I'll only be 38 on next Thursday!

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 11:35 AM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yes, me too. I only have a few grays, but they pop right back! The funny thing is, when I read your question I read "Super resistant gays". That's why I opened it! LOL.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:37 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I go to the salon and the same thing happens to me. I heard that there is a certain brand of hair color that works way better,( I don't know what it is, another salon around here has it.) It is more expensive. They carry it, because of so many people complaining about the same thing.

Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 11:40 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Hi, hairstylist and very unproud owner of grey hair that won't cover!!! You need to go to a salon or school and have it done, they make some really fantastic professional color for grey hair, the store bought just won't cut it..I know it sucks, but we earned our grey hair, LOL!!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:57 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I would start having it highlighted instead of dying. A friend of mine does that. She is in her 50's and you'd never know it. Her face is young and she has been slowly going blond in the 8+ years I've known her.

Don't feel bad about the 25% gray. 2 of my SILs and DH were closer to 75% gray by your age. It's just a genetic trait to which my kids get to look ahead.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:59 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• You need to go to a beauty store and buy a toner. This is a base that will help the gray keep the color in. It is also used a lot when trying to color someones hair a red color. Hope this helps.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 2:35 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• well if the grey is minimal you could pluck them....
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:36 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• its not minimal. I'd say its about 25%

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 11:37 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• lol mompam!

• I figure I'll eventually dye it really blond so the contrast is minimized. My natural color is medium ash blond

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 11:44 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Ps.. they make a mascara for hair that you can put on the part to strech out your salon visit, also maybe try a hilite/lowlite, but this will cost more money and only let you go about 2--3 weeks longer between visit,, whatever you don, don't buy the store color, since you have ash/blonde hair the store color will make it look really grey/greeny
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:10 PM on Nov. 18, 2010