What have non parents told you?

What are some of the best/worst/rudest advice non-parents have giving you on how to raise kids?

young_lv_mom

Asked by young_lv_mom at 11:45 AM on Nov. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• when I was 17 I had to have a home visit from a nurse because I was under 18. The nurse told me the best way to bath the baby was put her in the babyseat and stick her in the shower....I about dropped my jaw at the idea of putting a newborn in her babyseat and under a shower!! WOW! can you imagine the parents that took that advice...she was serious, Thank God I knew that was a horrible idea
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:49 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I guess either they don't have the nerve, or they know I'm an active parent, but I don't get advice from "non" parents that I know.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:49 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I have been told that I need to learn how to "control" my children. Was not too happy about that comment since my children are pretty well behaved except when they are home.
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 12:13 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Bump
    young_lv_mom

Comment by young_lv_mom (original poster) at 12:14 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I have never gotten advice from "non-parents" I tend to be the advice giver of the people I know!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 12:26 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• When my oldest was a newborn I excused myself to go to the backroom at my Aunts home. I wanted to change and feed him. My smart aleck cousin who was 40 with no kids walked in without knocking and said "Why don't you put a bottle in that boys mouth instead of your boob and maybe someone else might get to hold him" It forever changed our relationship. I sooooo wanted to slap her, but I didn't. It was until that moment that I knew how truelly miserable and selfish she was.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:47 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Someone told me that you don't clean newborns with baby soap and water, you are supposed to clean them with baby oil...

that was by far the dumbest thing I had ever heard
    BriHan06

Answer by BriHan06 at 2:57 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• My youngest brother who has no children once told me that it's okay for 13 year olds to have sex, give them a condom...they don't hang with that uncle....We are too weird for him...we believe that sex is for marriage. :)
    motherganey5

Answer by motherganey5 at 4:55 PM on Nov. 18, 2010