Am I out of line for being upset?

I've been at my job for 5 years. I'm an Admin. Assist for a lawfirm. We also have a part time secretary who's been here for three months. (we had a full time secretary but she left). So, long story short, the new girl already makes $1.50 less than me per hour. She's only here in the afternoon so when she's not here in the morning I have to do ALL of her work plus mine. We have two different attorney offices so two separate phone lines (one with 4 lines and one with two lines). I have to leave my office EVERY time someone opens the front door to make sure that it's not a client or someone that needs assistance. I have to file, copy, fax, and whatever else in the morning. Plus when she is here I have to give her different tasks to do EVERYDAY even if it's something she does everyday. Am I completely out of line for being upset with my boss for not giving me some kind of compensation for taking over more job duties.

DMcC

Asked by DMcC at 11:48 AM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

• If you think you deserve more money. Write it up and go to your boss in a business non-accusatory manner and request it. Being upset at this point is not professional.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:52 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Just wondering if you have time to do CafeMom at work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I've had thing very thing happen to me. Only they brought the pt girl in at MORE than they were paying me. It is insulting and yes it is understandable that you would be upset. You just have to write a letter to your bosses and let them know that you feel that with the added responsibilties that it is only fair that you be compensated for it. I stated all the original job responsibilities that I was hired for and then listed all that I was doing and respectfully asked for a raise. I did get the raise.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 11:58 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I'd vent just as you have done before addressing the situation with my boss. This way you've taken the edge off the issue and will potentially be able to discuss this in a clear and concise manner. Your issue may be well received if you remove the negative spin on being overworked. Highlight your strengths and let your boss know that this issue may effect your productivity. Good luck!
    Momgul

Answer by Momgul at 12:07 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• You said there used to be a full time secretary there. You might want to talk your bosses and tell them you feel the position needs to be full time and not part time because it's not working out as part time. Tell them the reasons why. Also, it sounds to me like the new employee is just trying not to do anything wrong because she's still in her probationary period. Next time, tell her nicely, that she doesn't need to ask your permission to get going on her work. Or make her a to-do list.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:40 AM on Nov. 19, 2010