Helping her deal with Herpes Simplex ONE

My 16 year old DD has herpes simplex ONE. for those of you that dont know what that is, it is a virus not the genitial herpes. HSV1 is caused simply by a virus not kissing or any other sexual activity. We took her to the hospital where they diagnosed her with this about a week after she got sick. She had fevers,throat,gums,and ear pain. Then she started getting sores on her lips,tongue,and even the space above her lip but below her nose and one on her nostral(sp). Also she has a gash on the whole top of her inner lip which got infected from the herpes. She has barely been able to eat, all she has been able to eat is ice cream,pudding, and macaroni.This is all going away VERY slowly, she is on her 12th day of having this. I honestly dont know what i can do to help speed this up, and idont know what to do after to prevent out breaks. Any other moms dealt with this and have some tips or information? Its very much apprichiated

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Okay well your information is a little bit wrong. You are talking like it's a virus like a cold (like she touched a door knob or got sneezed on), you have it and it goes away and you are cured.

BOTH type 1 and 2 are viruses, but they will always be in your body. They can be dormant for years or you can have frequent outbreaks. You can "shed" the virus at ANY time even without an outbreak. And you can spread the virus to other parts of your body....type 1 CAN in fact be spread to the genitals, the eye, fingers, pretty much anywhere.

BUT on the bright side, it's common, 1 in 4 people have herpes, either type 1 or 2. And half the people who have it don't even know they have it. Many have one bad first outbreak then few to none....while others may have outbreaks a few times a year or once a year, or even once a month.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:17 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• She has a cold sore that got infected. There really is no way to prevent them from happening. I get them all the time, usually when I am overly stressed or have a cold. They have to be taken care of right away or they will get infected. I have been there. It is not fun. There are products on the market that help get rid of cold sores but I have found that hydrogen peroxide works the best. It WILL sting but clears up cold sores in a matter of days. Not sure I would use it on infected ones though. Maybe Neosporin. Also, keep her lips hydrated with lip balm (Burts Bees works the best). If it hasn't gone away by now, I would take her back to the doctor, she made need antibiotics to get rid of the infection. Also, Valtrex works well to get rid of SImplex 1 sores. Yes, the stuff for the "other'' herpes virus. But, it has to be taken at the first sign of a cold sore, "the tingle" and itch. Good luck, I hope she gets better soon.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:20 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Lysine, you get it at the health food store and or GNC,, I have suffered with cold sores my whole life, last year started taking lysine and have had no cold sores at all, they are painful,,you need to take the lysine everyday, just like a vitamin. If they are super bad her doctor may give her acyclovir to help it clear up, but trust me th lysine works!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:22 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• The doctor can give her a cream antiviral-- acyclovir, like the PP said, to put directly on the sore. It will clear it up faster. Or you can get an Rx of Valtrex.

She should take Lysine 500 mg daily to prevent future outbreaks. The first outbreak is bad and makes people sick. But it gets less and less as the body gets used to living with the virus.

You might find some foods make her more sensitive to outbreaks. Tomatoes, wheat gluten, and caffeine are some common triggers. Also her menstrual cycle may bring them on.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 4:19 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• She should definitely take L-lysine, along with elderberry tincture (a fantastic anti-viral)

Answer by rkoloms at 8:16 PM on Nov. 21, 2010