my baby's sleeping pattern is all messed up -- a little help please

my 3-month-old son was doing great. he used to sleep all through the night and then would be awake in the evening, mostly playing with us. then he used to sleep during the day too. used to wake up after every 2 hours for his feed. i didnt make his routine. he did this all on his own.

past 5 days has been the total opposite. he hardly sleeps at all !! he's up the whole night and then he doesn't sleep during the day either !! he's playing with himself and after a while starts getting fussy wanting us to play with him too. i mean during the day thats all we do.. but then 3am in the morning .. :-s
anyways im not concerned about myself (apart from the fact both me and my husband look like zombies now!) but im worried he's not getting enough sleep. he's up the the whole day (sleeping for not more than 15-20mins whenever he dozes off) and most of the night too..

what do i do ???

cookie269

Asked by cookie269 at 11:54 AM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 3 months is generally too young to self-soothe. I think the current thought is they start to do that around 4 months. My daughter didn't until about 6 months. Anything can throw off a good sleeper - growing, teething (yes, already), fever, new concepts, new skills, anything. It usually doesn't last long, but it can be a pain getting them back on track. I'd suggest doing things in this order - sleep, feed, awake (not feed him to sleep). Keep offering naps. When they get too tired, they can't sleep. So, theoretically, the more short naps he gets, the longer they will become and the better sleeper he will become. I think around that time, also, my daughter needed white noise or music to sleep.
    Airamana

Answer by Airamana at 12:08 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• My daughter started teething at 3 months and it messed up her entire sleep pattern as well. I am not sure how you put you baby to sleep but at times I would have to rock her while walking and humming to get her to go to sleep. If I even tried to sit down in a rocker she would know and start wailing. By the way, not to make you nervous but she still has not gotten back into the great sleep pattern she had her first 3 months and now she is 9 months old. He does need to get sleep though, I read a great article about it and I wish I could remember the magazine and issue but I do know that sleep really does beget sleep and too little sleep will only make the baby of under 4 months harder to get to sleep.
    BriNAddymom

Answer by BriNAddymom at 1:01 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• We cosleep and our perfect pass out champion just started to be awake at 3 months. Not upset, just awake. So I just handed her a toy and went back to sleep myself. It only last a week or 2.

Like the PPs said, anything can throw off a sleep schedule. And sleep "training" isn't going to work on a baby that young. It *will* pass. It might not seem like it now, but the baby will sleep at some point.

Wearing the baby in a sling or wrap during the day while you are doing house work might help get him to nap.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 4:13 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• my son did this a few times too. its really difficult to keep a baby on any certain schedual at 3 months though, but this is what got my son on track. at about 8 i start his bedtime routine, baby food, bath, -i use a lavendar soothing lotion works wonders- pjs, bottle and story, down for bed at 9 and sleeps till about 9am! sometimes he will wake between about midnight to two for a bottle but then right back to bed.
    ProudTeenMom319

Answer by ProudTeenMom319 at 12:20 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

• It's really very normal for them to change their schedule. And they do know how much sleep they need and they do get it. Never mind what the books tell you.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:26 PM on Nov. 19, 2010