Anyone else have a third degree tear during childbirth?

I recently had my baby, 9 days ago, and experienced a third degree tear. The Dr. said it's a "good" version of a third degree tear - I guess there's classification of third degree tears in how bad they are. BUT, I'm nervous about healing. It never stung when I peed and it's just sore, not painful. I'm concerned about what it'll look like when it heals and how it will feel during sex. Also, if you've had more children after this how did that go? Did you have to have a c-section? If vaginal, did you have another third degree tear? ANY advice is greatly appreciated...I know this is not common - only 1% of deliveries, but I would love some advice. Thanks!

mamie2shoes

Asked by mamie2shoes at 11:55 AM on Nov. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Ouch! Yes, I had tears with both of my children (one was almost 4th degree, Yikes!). It was just bumpy from the stitches. I took a while to heal, but I may be overly sensitive. I used tucks pads to help with the stinging. I would just lay them on top of my pad and wear them around. The difference between a bad tear and a good tear is whether it tore straight or branched off also called a 'star tear'. The later is more difficult to stitch correctly and takes longer to heal.
    e_room_steph

Answer by e_room_steph at 12:37 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Yes. It was a long time to heal from (I didn't get it repaired). So that was a rough road.
    But I did have a bigger-easier deliver with my next one. She was 10-pounds, NO TEARING, practically fell out, delivery was soooothe as butter.

(*I had learned in-between these births that HOW mom labors is most relevant. If you want to prevent tearing there are many things you can do~)

I never have a cesarean unless there was an emergency. Knowing what I know now, I wished I'd made better choices with that first delivery...
    :- /
    But I know it now!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:35 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I tore like that with my 3rd baby. I healed just fine and went on to have 3 more vaginal births to babies that were bigger and with no tearing!
    Also, I agree with Doulala's post! Excellent advice.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:25 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I had 3rd degree tears with my son 10 years ago and now I'm pregant again. I'm deathly afraid of tearing again but I'm told now that tearing is better than an episiotimy. I will tell you that sex and tampons are akward...for me anyway. I'm going to check with my doc now that you mention it!
    TaiyoandMe

Answer by TaiyoandMe at 11:59 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• well i had a level 3 episiotomy with my dd, she was a 9lb 3oz baby...the doctor put in some stitches and i healed up just fine, i was obviously sore so i just used the boppy to sit on lol. and sex was a little uncomfortable for the first month or so after i got the "green light" from my ob but my dh is on the large side so that had a little to do with it.... i had my 2nd baby vaginally and had an episiotomy with him too and was sewn back up and everything is fine GL
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:00 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I'm pretty sure I had one with my first son, if I remember correctly. I do remember having to get a LOT of stitches. I was sore for a few days but was able to have sex with hubby before the 6 week mark. It was a little uncomfortable the first couple times but not too bad. I delivered his 9 pound brother 21 months later without a single tear :)
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 12:23 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I tore at a 2, I was so scared of having an episiotomy..thankfully the doc didn't recommend it..I healed fine, I was sore and it hurt to sit down directly on that area, so I and to sit leaning back. Sex was uncomfortable, but we were able before the 6 week period.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 2:22 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Sorry--I had an episiotomy that prevented tearing so it healed really quickly.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 8:44 PM on Nov. 18, 2010